Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rudder up/down
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

new guy on the block. I found the rudder up/down cord laying on the inside of the hull near the aft hatch! When pulling T-handle rudder raises and lowers : however I never noticed this cord laying loose when rudder is deployed. I'm thinking a jumped pulley, any advice on where to look or where I can find a diagram. I've been able to find a steering diagram, but no luck with stowing. Don't have a clue!

Post subject: Re: Rudder up/down
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jpw wrote:
new guy on the block. I found the rudder up/down cord laying on the inside of the hull near the aft hatch! When pulling T-handle rudder raises and lowers : however I never noticed this cord laying loose when rudder is deployed. I'm thinking a jumped pulley, any advice on where to look or where I can find a diagram. I've been able to find a steering diagram, but no luck with stowing. Don't have a clue!

Are you sure it's the rudder deployment cord and not the bungee cord that is used as a "spring" mechanism? :wink:

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sounds like the bungie that keeps the line taught came loose. It attaches to the up down cord near the stern of the boat. That bungie is attached to the last eye one the cargo area.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

yes its the deployment cord. I can follow the cord forward to where it and bungee come together. I've pulled the t-handle and taken up about 7" of slack prior to the rudder responding. The cord becomes taut, and can be found just under top skin. Is there a rigging diagram, I've found one for steering, but no joy on rudder deployment.

Last edited by jpw on Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:05 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

A comprehensive rigging diagram would be helpful. I'm having similar issues on my '14 PA and aren't able to sort it out as the only diagram I find is the basic rudder lines that don't show the boa incorporated, let alone the rudder up/down assy, which I thought the down tension was provided for by a metal spring in the rudder housing.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

jpw wrote:
yes its the deployment cord. I can follow the cord forward to where it and bungee come together. I've pulled the t-handle and taken up about 7" of slack prior to the rudder responding. The cord becomes taut, and can be found just under top skin. Is there a rigging diagram, I've found one for steering, but no joy on rudder deployment.

Correction, about 7" of slack, but if t-handle is seated to locking cam, cord is laying on inside of hull, but system seems to work ok ( retract/deploy) ! Does anyone know or can check to see if this is normal ? I would really appreciate it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:16 pm 
Site Admin

You can use a cell phone or camera in the hull to look for loose ends or issues. I have used my phone and ipad in tandem to look around inside kayaks. That works well.

This is a sheet used for line lengths, but does give an idea of the route and hardware involved. Looks like there is no bungee. It would be the spring in the rudder that pulls line back into the hull at the exit point.

https://static.hobiecat.com/web_uploads/2018/02/23/Assembly_Pro_Angler_14_Control_Line_UpDown_Sheet.PDF

It may be a matter of excess line in the system. You could pop the cap off the T handle and pull the excess line out tie a new knot and then cut when you think this has worked.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)