Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I purchased a 2018 hobie pro angler 14 and picked it up a couple week ago. I had it stored inside on 3" schedule 40 pvc tubes that stretch the length of the kayak and kept it covered with the OEM PA cover. After waiting a week for my marine mat to arrive, I virtually didn't touch the kayak to keep it clean for the installation of the marine mat. As I was finishing the install and placing the last piece of eva foam on the middle hatch, I noticed that the hatch was installed crooked... I went around the front to get a line drive view of the kayak and everything seems arrow straight except the darn hatch and it may appear that the left foot groove on the deck is slightly raised when compared to the right foot (see pictures - https://photos.app.goo.gl/6gB410vwCDDyZmVG3). I called the local dealer and they haven't returned my call yet.

Anyone experience this? I'm frustrated that I discovered this after the marine mat installation. What kind of remedy is needed to correct this?

Thanks, I've owned 6 kayaks since 2010, and this was my biggest upgrade to date.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What is the loop of black cord sticking out from under the hatch frame? And looks like the gasket there as well.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Check the foam blocks installed in the hull. If one of them is jammed in there it will push the deck up. My 2016 Hobie Pro Angler 14 had a similar issue and it ended up being the way the foam blocks were installed. After some shuffling around I was able to even the deck out.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I will definitely check out the blocks, I briefly looked at them when installing the fish finder, but didn't see if any were jammed. Not sure about the cord sticking out of the hatch either, thought it was normal at first but don't see it in any pictures. Should I wait for a response from Hobie before I attempt to mess with the hatch? My dealer didn't put in a warranty claim, but made Hobie aware of the issue and waiting to see what they say. Ideally, I want this kayak to work since my deck is already padded with expensive stuff. I'm taking it out Saturday to see how it rides.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Having the kayak rest on PVC is pushing up on the scuppers - We recommend against that. Suggest that you place the kayak flat on the ground for a day or more to get the distortion back out.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You think the distortion is due to the PVC? It's coming off the PVC within the hour, hoping that straightens it out.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The blocks seem evenly stuffed in there, but wonder if I should take them out to see if the hull lays flat, maybe take the center hatch out as well? I have the kayak resting on a couple sheets of thin foam, so no PVC as of now....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Removing the blocks would be an easy and quick thing to do. They easily can be removed and reinstalled, I would just make note of their locations as you pull them out. This fixed my similar issue.

As for the hatch I would file a claim with your dealer on that. Those seals shouldn't be protruding like they are and as much as these kayaks cost you should expect better craftsmanship. Also that way if something is messed up with the hatch the dealer can take care of it for you.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jbernier's post is confusing. Setting on PVC is bad?? Really? Nearly all trailers are set up this way. Everyone is wrong for doing this?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I took the kayak out and it rides great, standing is no problem. I removed the blocks, repositioned them and had the kayak in the sun on flat surface for a couple of days; compared my standing deck with a friend's 2017 PA14 and mine is without a doubt raised on the left foot area, but don't really notice it when I'm on the water. Even though it seems cosmetic, I hope there's no long term effect; kinda hard to swallow, but that seems to be the way it goes these days.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Kvadas wrote:
Jbernier's post is confusing. Setting on PVC is bad?? Really? Nearly all trailers are set up this way. Everyone is wrong for doing this?

Yes - that is correct. We don't recommend this as a storage or transport method especially for larger boats like PA's - it will 'push' up on the scuppers - making the deck raise up - it distorts the boats long term.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

There seems to be a catch 22 Woth storing the kayak. It’s still the best kayak I’ve ever been in.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:08 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
it will 'push' up on the scuppers - making the deck raise up - it distorts the boats long term.

This is something we have seen, the line of scuppers is in the crease that the PVC is aligned with. Weight of the kayaks resting on the PVC effectively pushes the crease and scuppers upwards. That pushes the deck up in relation to the rest of the hull. This can cause cart wheels to rub the hull on some boats more than others as well since the outer "humps" are "drooping" in relation to the scuppers.

Some combination of support across the bottom shape seems to work better. I have not heard of issue when using the Hobie cradles.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Flat on the ground is better - as per the instructions in our manual.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Fair enough, still doesn't explain the hatch job. The cut wasn't centered so the hatch doesn't lay flat with the deck.