Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jbernier wrote:
Kvadas wrote:
Jbernier's post is confusing. Setting on PVC is bad?? Really? Nearly all trailers are set up this way. Everyone is wrong for doing this?

Yes - that is correct. We don't recommend this as a storage or transport method especially for larger boats like PA's - it will 'push' up on the scuppers - making the deck raise up - it distorts the boats long term.

Certainly opens up a can of worms in this forum.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

riverfish wrote:

That's a good thing. It needs to be known that we only approve storage and transport methods we publish in the manual. I have seen several issues arise from bad storage / transport systems. I have pushed to specifically add PVC to the Do's and 'Dont's' section in our manuals storage pages. Specifically for Pro Anglers and Islands. (the heavier the boat the worse the distortion tends to be)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the heads up. I never used PVC to haul or store mine, but it seems, since so many people do, it just became an accepted thing. Yes, it is a good idea to add comments in the user manuals.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jbernier wrote:
riverfish wrote:

That's a good thing. It needs to be known that we only approve storage and transport methods we publish in the manual. I have seen several issues arise from bad storage / transport systems. I have pushed to specifically add PVC to the Do's and 'Dont's' section in our manuals storage pages. Specifically for Pro Anglers and Islands. (the heavier the boat the worse the distortion tends to be)

Why does Hobie Australia support the use of metal rails with padding on trailers?

A number of dealers are selling trailers with carpeted skids or padded metal rails, I was told Hobie support the use of metal rails with Hobie pads on them.

Seems to be internal conflict or misleading of customers by dealers?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Skinnee wrote:
Jbernier wrote:
riverfish wrote:

Why does Hobie Australia support the use of metal rails with padding on trailers?

A number of dealers are selling trailers with carpeted skids or padded metal rails, I was told Hobie support the use of metal rails with Hobie pads on them.

Hobie Aus sells trailers and the frames are pre-drill to use cradles. Some dealers sell 3rd party trailers like Mackay / Dunbier etc and use a number of methods subject to kayak type. For the PA12/14 we suggest cradles.

http://www.hobiecat.com.au

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Steve Fields wrote:
Skinnee wrote:
Jbernier wrote:
riverfish wrote:

Hobie Aus sells trailers and the frames are pre-drill to use cradles. Some dealers sell 3rd party trailers like Mackay / Dunbier etc and use a number of methods subject to kayak type. For the PA12/14 we suggest cradles.

ok so dealers are misleading customers when they sau Hobie support the other options

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jbernier wrote:
riverfish wrote:

No mention of not using PVC in my manual, if you claim it's published and shipping with 2018 models. For the record, storing the kayak on 3" schedule 40 PVC for 4 days didn't cause this, nor did it create the issue of my hatch not being centered. We seem to be dancing around answers here, but thanks for advising me to discontinue the use of PVC. I was cautioned about leaving the kayak on a flat surface, because my buddy's PA had flat spots from storing his this way. Every kayak you see at Scheels is stored how you guys say not to store them, fyi.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have been storing my PAs on 3 inch PVC since my 2012 PA14. My 2015 PA14 is on 3 inch PVC (on the trailer) and sits in a garage that can get pretty warm in the south Georgia summer. Zero issues with this storage method affecting the hull for me. The 2018 Hobie Compass is also on 3 inch PVC. Not trying to dispute what a Hobie rep is saying here on the forums, but I was never told that the PA could not be stored on PVC and my manual never indicated it. Not sure what the raised decking issue is for the poster. That's up to him and the dealer to determine.

And to clarify...my PA14 sits on the trailer inside the garage. Is never stored outside and only has the seat installed. Usually everything else is out of the PA. So it's just the weight of the hull and the seat for the most part. If a PA was stored where it sits exposed to sunlight and is loaded with items, I can see how there could be an issue with most any type of pressure on the hull if the conditions were right. Just providing my observation. :wink:

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:41 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I have been storing my PAs on 3 inch PVC since my 2012 PA14. My 2015 PA14 is on 3 inch PVC (on the trailer) and sits in a garage that can get pretty warm in the south Georgia summer. Zero issues with this storage method affecting the hull for me.

This variance in issues or not caused by PVC bunks could be a flex factor. If the tubes do not easily conform to the rocker of the hull you would get hard points of contact and not properly spread the loads. It could be the pipe materials or the way they are installed on the trailer.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
Quote:
I have been storing my PAs on 3 inch PVC since my 2012 PA14. My 2015 PA14 is on 3 inch PVC (on the trailer) and sits in a garage that can get pretty warm in the south Georgia summer. Zero issues with this storage method affecting the hull for me.

This variance in issues or not caused by PVC bunks could be a flex factor. If the tubes do not easily conform to the rocker of the hull you would get hard points of contact and not properly spread the loads. It could be the pipe materials or the way they are installed on the trailer.
In order to accomplish the necessary flex in the tubes, it is important that the tubes NOT be set on a flat surface, such as a garage floor, truck bed, or flat bed trailer. If the ends of the tubes are mounted on 2x6 risers at least 8 ft apart, and the tubes are not supported anywhere in-between, they should conform nicely to the rocker bottom shape of the hull.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have heard the cradles are not durable and will break. At that price why the hell would someone go with a cradle. On top of that Hobie recommends that the cradles be spaced 67" apart but at no point do they recommend where they should rest on the kayak... Wouldn't the kayak eventually sag on the cradles. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 11:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just bought a new PA 12 and noticed the same thing. I have owned one before and it was not like this. The middle hatch definitely looks cocked to one side a bit and also the floor looks a little pushed up in one area. The front storage hatch also doesn't close easily. You have to kind of bend it over to have it fit in place. My other Kayak was not like this. I was on the lake yesterday with it and also noticed when looking at the front carry handle from the seat, it looks a little off as well. Any way to fix this? This is kind of sad considering the price of these units and the store I got it from is most likely not going to want to replace it since I have fished out of it.