Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have just got to installing a Honda 2.3HP and will be extending the throttle and kill switch near the seat as well as adding an external gas tank.

The only confusion I have is if I run the engine straight behind the Rudder will I still be able to steer with the rudder as usual or will I not get traction? Any help guys would be appreciated.

Last edited by RAPALA on Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi,

Would love to see the pictures but Photobucket is at it again so we can't see your pictures.

I switched to Google Photos which is Free.
This is how I currently post pictures on Hobie Forum

Go to Google Photos. Establish an account.

I create individual albums for each subject on the forum and upload the photos to that album.

I select a photo from the appropriate album.

Right Click on individual photo and select (Copy Image Location)

Go to Hobie Forum post.

Select (IMG) from the tool bar

Insert cursor in between [img](%20paste%20photo%20image%20location%20here)[/img]

Here is sample of what pasted item should look like.

Hope this is of some help.

Took me a while but I finally got it working great.

John

Variable Speed Electra Drive System Designed by: Phil Krug.
https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=62295&p=298578#p298578

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I can’t see the pics in the OP’s post either. Rapala, would you mind posting them so they are visible? I’m gearing up to purchase a Hobie PA 17t and am trying to figure out how to mount a stern outboard and still manage to operate it from the back seat position. I’ve been eyeing the Honda BF 2.3 too. I’d love to see how you pulled it off.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Awesome thanks looks like it worked... I have now extended the Throttle will update photos after getting out this weekend. Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi RAPALA,

Glad I was able to help with the pictures. I lost a lot of pictures on another forum due to Photobuckets change in policy. I will never use them again.

Man! I am glad you were able to finally post those pictures. Your motor mount is AWESOME!!!!!!! Very professional. You or a friend of yours must be a fabricator.

An extended throttle cable and control handle mounted on the H Rail or next to your seat would be really nice. Like you said the kill switch relocation is a must.

Wish I had a suggestion on the steering. Maybe someone else that has motorized a Hobie can help you on that. Hopefully, it will work fine.

Really look forward to a video of your setup on the water.

It will be interesting to see how low the rear end of the Hobie sets in the water when you actually water test your Hobie.

I will PM you with a link to a you tube video that shows a nice dual tank fuel setup with removable tanks that may??? be of help. It would look super cool on your setup Might want to install tank(s) mount further forward to help with the CG of the Hobie.

Is the Honda a long or short shaft?

Thanks again for sharing your ideas.

John

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:38 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

search Fusioneng or PM him for your steering outboard question. He did install 2 Honda 2.3 in his Hobie Tandem Island and extended all the controls to front seat from rear cargo area where he installed the motor.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Rapala, that looks like a good set up. If you don’t mind, please post more pictures of the finished product. From what I see, it looks like you just need to figure out how to control the steering in throttle and get access to the killswitch from your Vantage seat. That’s the problem with mounting a stern outboard on a Pro Angler—you can’t easily reach it from your seat. I’m trying to figure out how to achieve a similar set up on a Hobie Pro Angler 17t and I am not sure how I am going to pull it off. Are you using a steering/throttle control with the killswitch by your seat, or are you using a throttle extension? Ihave wondered if it is possible to access the steering cables that control the rudder and attach them to the outboard. That’s what people do for the tour Torqeedo Ultralight 403. It might also work for a small Honda outboard.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had the best experience today with the Honda unbelievable... everything was as planned and just perfect.

Here is a video, if you need to see something in particular let me know and ill take a photo or video if that part.

https://youtu.be/V7NqWt5k2X8

[youtube]https://youtu.be/V7NqWt5k2X8[/youtube]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That's an ingenious setup. It sure solves a few common problems. So you used a regular cycle break cable? Do you mean battery cable? Did you just buy it at Autozone? If you don't mind, would you mind posting a couple pictures of how you made the actual connections? If you are able to. I think my best bet is to replicate your setup.

I'm glad to hear you are able to steer with the rudder. I was worried that it wouldn't turn very well. I've seen guys hook the steering cables to a Torqeedo Ultralight, but am unsure if that would work with an outboard. I bet there is a way to do it though. Man, it sure looks like you are moving along at a healthy clip, too.

Awesome setup.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Rapala,

Many thanks for the video. I really enjoyed it. :)

Glad everything worked well on your test ride.

Do you have any idea how fast the Honda Outboard was able to push your Hobie Pro Angler 14?

I currently don't have a Honda Outboard that size. I previously owned a Honda 2HP?? Outboard long shaft i.e. 20 Long older model and it ran like a charm.

I really like what you have done and maybe one day I will make one similar to yours. You have done a wonderful job on the design and implementation of your vision.

I just sent you a PM (personal message) with a few questions I had from watching the video.

Any information you are willing to share would be appreciated.

In looking at your YouTube channel I see you are quite the fisherman. :)

John

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have posted an updated extended video (link below) hopefully this will answer most questions you may have.

https://youtu.be/iZkUz6v4SIA

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

RAPALA wrote:
I have posted an updated extended video (link below) hopefully this will answer most questions you may have.

Thanks for the quick response on my PM and sharing the information that I requested.

This should greatly improve your travel time getting to your favorite fishing spots. You fishing range should also be greatly improved. That way you can do more fishing and less pedaling. Also, putting the auxiliary fuel tank up front should help the CG of the Hobie and give it a more level ride on the water.

Hope you enjoy your new propulsion unit.

John

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Really nice setup.
FE

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I found a 2hp new for $700. It weighs 39 pounds. Is that about the same weight as your Honda?

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 2:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It's should be give or take 2pounds there won't be much differnce