Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi. I am buying a PA14 when I sell my boat, but am not sure about buying a new or used kayak. Has there been any significant changes in recent models that would deter me from buying a good used PA14? I am happy to buy new for warranty etc, but would consider a good used Pro Angler, if the price is right and the features/quality are the same. Any advice would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you want the Vantage seat like the current model has, start with a 2013 PA14 and newer. Nothing wrong with an older PA14 with the green plastic seat if it was well maintained and in good shape, but I would stick with a 2012 PA14 if you find an older used PA you like. The re-enforced scuppers were added in 2012. 2011 and 2012 PA14s had the steering on the left side of the hull. 2009-2010 models had the steering attached to the corner of the seat if memory serves me correctly.

The BOA rudder line tension was added in 2014. 2015 saw the H-Rails, skeg and Mirage GT drive added. 2017 saw the new MD180 Mirage drive added and the camo color. The papaya color changed to a different shade in 2018 as well. Other than some logo changes and minor items such as pad eyes and a slight change in the deck area in front of the Mirage Drive (about an inch adjustment), that covers it.

Hope I didn't make any errors...lol!

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Wow - thanks Steve! You obviously know a lot about the PA, as well as the Compass. Your Compass fitout is still the best I have seen.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just bought a used 2010 pa 14 yesterday. The previous owner upgraded the rudder to relocate the rudder control and update it said it cost about 100 for the kit. Got it for right at a grand and it is in great shape.

If you can find one that was taken care of go for it.

I couldn't see spending 3600 for a new one plus adding all the gear to it unless I was using it to make money for me

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a 2015. When i tried out an older model without the skeg and let me tell you the skeg is totally worth its weight in gold. Without it the kayak wanders alot. Test out whatever model you go for. Also the nonreverse mirage drive are somewhat more reliable and dont break down as easy.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 7:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I never noticed my 2013 PA-14 "wandering", but I did change the rudder to the larger optional one because I mostly down rig fish and the larger rudder makes the PA track better.

Considering I fish at 25' and up to 110' deep sometimes, with a 4 pound weight and drag a 5" quickfish lure, there is a significant drag underwater. With all this junk underwater, I am happy about the tracking.