Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question for Hobie
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm looking for a kayak stand for my Pro Angler and came across this Hobie part: 87363222. It's said to be a Mirage rigging stand. It looks like it has four mounting screws, 2 on each rail properly to secure what looks like a soft padding. I can't find any specs on it and wondering if the rails are far apart enough to replace the stock padding with Hobie PA wings.

https://www.strictlysailinc.com/product ... ing-stand/

Post subject: Re: Question for Hobie
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:26 pm 
Site Admin

No screws, Padding and now a strap to secure your boat while rigging on it.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Matt, can this stand with the padding and strap be used to store the Pro Angler without hull deformation?

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 2:53 pm 
Site Admin

Not for storage.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

DoubleOSeven wrote:
I'm looking for a kayak stand for my Pro Angler and came across this Hobie part: 87363222. It's said to be a Mirage rigging stand. It looks like it has four mounting screws, 2 on each rail properly to secure what looks like a soft padding. I can't find any specs on it and wondering if the rails are far apart enough to replace the stock padding with Hobie PA wings.

https://www.strictlysailinc.com/product ... ing-stand/

DoubleOSeven To answer your question, distance of the rails center to center is 11 1/8 inches. Better than putting on 'wings', take a couple pool noodles, slip them lengthwise and put them over the top rails (stock padding can stay on). Your PA will sit well. I put wheels on my stand to move it around the garage and unless its long term (season to season) mine sits on the stand with no issues. As my PA's usually just sit on a couple PVC pipes for long term storage I would think PA's would be just as fine on cushioned rails.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
Not for storage.

Why is that every Hobie store you go into has them sitting on these stands in their show room? So your saying, at night they take them off these stands and put them away stored in the way Hobie wants them too? I know when I bought mine, it sit on this stand with several others for 4 months through winter. I'm not trying to be a butt here, but why is it in my book I can not do this and Hobie dealers do it and if you look across YouTube, there is several videos showing them sitting on these racks in Hobie dealers show rooms. So your saying that before I bought my PA 14 the warranty was voided??

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:40 pm 
Site Admin

It's just not advised... certain temperature conditions (heat) can cause more issues than others, so we just don't recommend it to prevent the possible issue.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
It's just not advised... certain temperature conditions (heat) can cause more issues than others, so we just don't recommend it to prevent the possible issue.

I understand your position. I would agree, if you sit it on one in the sun or hot humid conditions, you could run the chance of deforming the kayak. I keep my kayak in the basement of my house in the winter to store and in my garage during fishing season out of direct sun light and thought this would be a good option instead of upside down sitting on the floor on boards.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Flat on the floor would be best for 'storage - or on a flat surface to transport (if you can't use cradles - or flip it over) The flat surface suggestion is straight out of the owners manual. We strongly warn against PVC runner style storage / transport - way too many issues caused by that...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jbernier wrote:
Flat on the floor would be best for 'storage - or on a flat surface to transport (if you can't use cradles - or flip it over) The flat surface suggestion is straight out of the owners manual. We strongly warn against PVC runner style storage / transport - way too maybe issues caused by that...

Flat on the ground could cause flat spots faster then pvc pipe that is fully supporting the whole kayak? I just called a Hobie dealer and they store them on these racks all the time. They do not take them down each night and store them flat on the floor and then put them back up on these the next day in the show room for display. Also chatted with one online and they also do the same thing and know several that do the same.

Like I said, not trying to be a butt, but sounds like a lot of inconsistency to me and I know mine sit on one for 4 months during winter before I bought it.

I just do not understand why Hobie can not give people more options to store their $3,000 dollar kayaks. All you get in your book is 3 options. Wide straps hanging up side down, upside down on boards, or flat right side up. If a person can not hang, then you have two options, lay it flat on the floor or flip it over on boards on the floor.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Steelman73 wrote:
Jbernier wrote:
Flat on the floor would be best for 'storage - or on a flat surface to transport (if you can't use cradles - or flip it over) The flat surface suggestion is straight out of the owners manual. We strongly warn against PVC runner style storage / transport - way too maybe issues caused by that...

Flat on the ground could cause flat spots faster then pvc pipe that is fully supporting the whole kayak? I just called a Hobie dealer and they store them on these racks all the time. They do not take them down each night and store them flat on the floor and then put them back up on these the next day in the show room for display. Also chatted with one online and they also do the same thing and know several that do the same.

Like I said, not trying to be a butt, but sounds like a lot of inconsistency to me and I know mine sit on one for 4 months during winter before I bought it.

I just do not understand why Hobie can not give people more options to store their $3,000 dollar kayaks. All you get in your book is 3 options. Wide straps hanging up side down, upside down on boards, or flat right side up. If a person can not hang, then you have two options, lay it flat on the floor or flip it over on boards on the floor.

I think the difference between how a dealer stores the kayak and how an owner may store it is based on time and temperature. The dealer will have the yak in a climate controlled area and in most cases will sell the it within months. The final owner may store the yak in high heat and the storage condition may last for years of ownership. Hobie is just trying to be conservative here.

My yaks are stored outside on a floating dock for 8 months out of the year (they go inside during hurricane season). On the floating dock, they are in cradles. When inside, they are flat on the floor and *upside down".

I've owned Hobie kayaks since 2004 and never had a hull problem. They are not fragile. My in-law's Sport is light enough that I think it could be stored it on its side and it would be fine. My Outback, on the other hand, is heavier and so I take more care in how it is stored. Just use common sense.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The kayaks sitting on these stands in the dealer's showroom will, hopefully sell, before they encounter any sort of long term storage on the stands.