Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just picked up a 2017 Pro Angler 14 Camo for $2950 from a local dealer, it was a Demo/Pro model. Just over a year left on the warranty and a bunch of small scratches on the bottom of the hull but nothing deep. The seat has a small hole in it that will only get worse over time but the dealer was able to get me a new seat fabric kit under warranty. I am wondering if I should of just spent the extra $750 for a new model with full warranty instead of saving 25%. From what I understand the demo models come with a slightly different warranty. I kind of feel like I should of gotten a lower price considering the boat was used for a season by a local pro and now holds only half the warranty. Regardless I took it to the lake yesterday and fished for an hour and am very excited for this season, just wish the dam weather would warm up in the midwest.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:27 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

DrewRosenHouse wrote:
Just picked up a 2017 Pro Angler 14 Camo for $2950 from a local dealer, it was a Demo/Pro model. I am wondering if I should of just spent the extra $750 for a new model with full warranty instead of saving 25%.
Your instincts were good -- I think you got a great deal! You have a full warranty for the first year -- if there is a problem, it will almost certainly show up by then. The chance of spending $750 on potential warranty matters in the second year is almost nil. So now you have an extra incentive to use your new boat as much as possible the first year to try finding a defect! :wink:

Congratulations on you new purchase and welcome to the forum! 8)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

+1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

+2

These are tough boats. I used my original Outback from 2003 until this past December with just light maintenance and less than $100 in repairs (replaced some shock cord and a rudder that broke due to operator error) and a couple of Mirage Drive overhauls.

That's no guarantee that something won't go wrong just outside the warranty period, but you made a good gamble and Hobie stands behind their product. Not to mention that Hobies hold their value pretty well and $750 is a good discount.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:52 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You did good and don't have to sweat scratching it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Good to hear, thanks for the comments.