Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have two Native Mariners sitting around and I lost a fin off my Mirage drive this weekend.
I was thinking of dropping one of my Propel drives down in the Mirage opening while I wait for a new fin to come in, and was wondering if anybody has done this before?
I'm sure I can figure out a way to brace it off but it would shave a lot of time if somebody has already done it.

*edit*
Tried fitting the Propel drive in the Mirage drive opening last night but it's just a hair too wide to fit without really jamming it. I'm going to heat up the Mirage opening with a hair dryer tonight and see if I can widen the opening enough for the Propel drive to pass through. If that works then it's just a matter of securing the Propel drive to the kayak, which should be fairly simple

*second edit*
Well, the fin came in way earlier than expected so I've lost interest in the project. I may pick it back up later but since I'm up and running I'm not going to spend a lot of time on it for now. Pretty sure it's a viable swap but since it's going to take some work I will probably hold off

*third edit*
It was raining yesterday so I decided to give it a try anyway. Found with a little pressure and wiggling the Propel drive will fit in the Mirage opening, but to make it functional I would have to modify the drive, shortening the stabilizing cross-member that holds it to the kayak. Since I have two Native Mariners and need both of my Propel drives I'm going to drop this mod unless circumstances change. But it did show me that yes, you can replace a Mirage drive with a Propel drive with a little work and modification to the drive. And on the upside my Mirage drive is now fixed