Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:19 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hey folks,

Have a 2012 PA14 that I'm restoring (doesn't have the newer h-rail system). I would like to get some feedback on these stand-assist bars. There's a YakAttack on my local craigslist for a fair price but not sure if it will fit and fit my needs which as a 6'3" tall person I'd like something to grab a hold of to help pull my big ass out of the seat and something to stead myself when needed and/or lean against.

Here's the yakattack version I'm speaking of: https://www.austinkayak.com/products/22 ... t-Bar.html

Hobie's version, which looks taller: https://www.austinkayak.com/products/25 ... H-Bar.html

Or has anyone done a DIY or seen one they can reference?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:00 pm 
Site Admin

OK, so I am biased, but our HBar is far more refined. Looks like lots to catch lines on the Yakattack version too.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:22 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

mmiller wrote:
OK, so I am biased, but our HBar is far more refined. Looks like lots to catch lines on the Yakattack version too.

I like how the Hobie is taller, but the real question is: Will it assist in pulling up out of seat and is it sturdy enough to lean against?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Mine came with one and I have to say it looks pretty sturdy. Should be getting mine in the water in the next few days. I have noticed that the fishermen I see posting on youtube don't use the H-Bar so I wonder if it interferes with the fishing.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:58 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I wonder the same? If I could do something like shown in the below video for $40 or less, it's worth a try. I know someone that has a 3D printer too.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:36 pm 
Site Admin

The Hobie H-Bar is designed to pull yourself up from the seat, lean on or support you as you step into the boat from a dock.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I fish 60 percent of the time sitting the rest standing. Can someone with experience with the H bar tell me to what extent it interferes with fishing from a sitting position on the 2020 HobieOutback.As a result of knee surgery the H bar may be needed. Not fishing is not an option. Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Has anyone modified the Hobie h-rail so that it can be mounted on a PA 12 without the rail extending past the front handle when folded down?

Looking at the rail it seems like this might be possible if a couple inches can be cut from the bottom of the main hoop allowing the entire assembly to be mounted further back while maintaining the correct height.

How are the adjustment pieces secured at the bottom of the main hoop? Can the red knobbed adjustment pin be removed and that cap easily be pulled off? Cut the rail put the cap back on and drill a new hole for that adjustment pin?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:
The Hobie H-Bar is designed to pull yourself up from the seat, lean on or support you as you step into the boat from a dock.

Has anyone put an H-Bar on an Adventure Island?
I have great difficulty standing, with or without ama’ deployed metal knees and hip.
I at present only need to stand when entering and exiting
My AI has the dagger board so I don’t want to interfere with that.
I don’t want H-bar to interfere with sail
Are there any pictures of installations
The more I think about it, it seems like removable cross bar so it could lay down on deck when not in use
Any thoughts please
I have a 2017 AI in SW Florida on Caloosahatchie River.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have the 12' passport and after looking at all the options and potential headaches not to mention possible depreciation if I ended making a mess with the Mod I went with the factory H-Bar and will report on it. The passport seat is among the lowest framed seats and I am 6'1' 255lbs and desperately want cleaner exits on the kayak because of the rudder you have to do a water exit and more than once I ended up taking a bath in the drink. I plan on installing a Down/Up haul rudder so I can do a proper landing procedure of parallel to shore, rock boat onto bank and step off because this nose it in stroke over till rudder touches and then attempt to jump out with leaning on the boat as it is still free floating in the aft end and mud and bank dancing until stable is ridiculous if the rudder just had a landing uphaul it would 100% more practical

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I’m looking for an H- Bar for my PA 14 360. Are there different models? If so, how do I determine the one I need?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ormonddude wrote:
I have the 12' passport and after looking at all the options and potential headaches not to mention possible depreciation if I ended making a mess with the Mod I went with the factory H-Bar and will report on it. The passport seat is among the lowest framed seats and I am 6'1' 255lbs and desperately want cleaner exits on the kayak because of the rudder you have to do a water exit and more than once I ended up taking a bath in the drink. I plan on installing a Down/Up haul rudder so I can do a proper landing procedure of parallel to shore, rock boat onto bank and step off because this nose it in stroke over till rudder touches and then attempt to jump out with leaning on the boat as it is still free floating in the aft end and mud and bank dancing until stable is ridiculous if the rudder just had a landing uphaul it would 100% more practical

Any update on your Hbar choice for your Passport 12? I’m thinking about the same two alternatives and inclined to go with the Hbar for similar reasons to those you cited.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ormonddude wrote:

After a couple of seasons, do you have any doubts or regrets that you went with the H-Bar? I have a Passport 12 and want to add a stand up aid and am leaning to the H-Bar for reasons similar to those you identified in your reply.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:

Yes you are bias. I have the HBar and the Command Stand. The HBar is just ok. The Yakattach Command Stand is far more refined and usable. First, the Commandstand is adjustable and will fit any yak. The HBar has only 1 width so it can’t be used on different yaks. The Command Stand comes with paddle/push pole holders that are adjustable and 2 more mounts for other stuff. Mine will have a rod holder and a throttle controller for my Torqeedo 1103. I am also working on a stand up steering setup so I can travel and sight fish and have my rod and paddle handy at all times. Admittedly, I use the HBar on the PA and the Command Stand on my Odyssey 1436 inflatable. However, the Command Stand is far superior and I may just use it for both and sell my HBar. Haven’t decided yet.