Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:58 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi,

This 2012 PA 14 came with an issue the port fwd side rail anchor point (uses a SS allen head bolt). Seems something went odd in the past were the bolt didn't quite do its job and they used epoxy around the seat of the rail footer. I "think" it was due to the fastener on the underside spinning and not setting up but not sure? Does the bolt screw into a insert female thread or is it simply a nyloc nut and washer? Regardless, I'm a little confused on how to reach the underside of this area to work on it. Can someone provide me with some guidance?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Roy, I think it's a female brass insert as is the same hardware used the secure the black plastic board just to the right in your photo.
Consider unscrewing the rail on the starboard side to confirm the hardware.....1/4 x 20 most likely.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:07 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Dr.SteelheadCatcher wrote:
Roy, I think it's a female brass insert as is the same hardware used the secure the black plastic board just to the right in your photo.
Consider unscrewing the rail on the starboard side to confirm the hardware.....1/4 x 20 most likely.

Makes complete sense to me, just one caveat...if it's NOT an insert and IS a nut/washer, then I could be in a REAL pickle haha.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:50 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I guess I need to call Hobie tomorrow. I started to back out the other side and just got really cold feet. It's it's not a threaded brass insert then I would certainly be up the proverbial creek. Just don't want to risk it being a nut and washer...that would be near impossible to re-install.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Roy, my 2013 PA-14 rails are connected using 5/16 x 18 SS Allen head bolt that screws into a brass insert that is molded in the hull.

Since the area would be very difficult for Hobie to use a nut inside the hull, I can't imagine that your 2012 PA-14 has this inside it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:48 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Confirm it is a brass insert as indicated by the Doc.

And if the female brass insert just spins in place & the SS Allen head bolt cannot be removed, how does one get the handle off without prying it out & damaging the hull? I have the port side handle off, but cannot remove one end of the starboard side handle.

I am trying to replace the shock cord that protrudes thru the bottom of the handle.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just replied to Patriot in another topic - same issue though
Your bolt is seized in the molded brass insert - You'll maybe have luck grabbing onto the backside (inside the hull) with some vise grips to keep it from spinning - or you'll need to pry it out (the insert) - then thru-bolt with a larger washer and a lock nut - that would also work. We mold the inserts into the hulls for ease of installation in the assembly shop - but thru-bolting would work just fine.