Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:46 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi folks,

So I'm rebuilding my MD's from a 2008 Revo 13 (V1) and 2012 PA 14 (V2) and my sprocket shafts are worn. I have new GT sprockets with the bearing rods. I guest first question in order is to confirm again, my sprocket shaft OD is 3/8" so the ID of my original, worn, sprockets must be 3/8" (actually larger now due to wear) correct? Therefore the new GT sprockets with bearing rods must have an ID of 3/8" too correct?

Now onto my second main question. My local Metals 4U shop sells 20' lengths of 304 SS 3/8" OD rod for $19. Seeing that one sprocket shaft runs about $25 I figure if the stock is 304 SS 3/8" then why not cut my own? All that's needed to to cut to correct length, debur ends and make the set screw key slot in the right place and I should be good to go correct? Same goes for my idler pulley shaft...it's worn some too and it's the same diameter.

While I'm thinking of it...just need to check on price, my drum shaft is 1/2" OD. Now I understand the V2's is splined in the center do it bites into the spine. That would take a bit of work to fabricate but if I can get a scrap length of it I might have a go of making one of them too?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:14 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

niswanger wrote:
Hi folks,

So I'm rebuilding my MD's from a 2008 Revo 13 (V1) and 2012 PA 14 (V2) and my sprocket shafts are worn. I have new GT sprockets with the bearing rods. I guest first question in order is to confirm again, my sprocket shaft OD is 3/8" so the ID of my original, worn, sprockets must be 3/8" (actually larger now due to wear) correct? Therefore the new GT sprockets with bearing rods must have an ID of 3/8" too correct?

Now onto my second main question. My local Metals 4U shop sells 20' lengths of 304 SS 3/8" OD rod for $19. Seeing that one sprocket shaft runs about $25 I figure if the stock is 304 SS 3/8" then why not cut my own? All that's needed to to cut to correct length, debur ends and make the set screw key slot in the right place and I should be good to go correct? Same goes for my idler pulley shaft...it's worn some too and it's the same diameter.

While I'm thinking of it...just need to check on price, my drum shaft is 1/2" OD. Now I understand the V2's is splined in the center do it bites into the spine. That would take a bit of work to fabricate but if I can get a scrap length of it I might have a go of making one of them too?

Hello niswanger, yes, you certainly can make your own:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow! Nice work on an ambitious rebuild. And thanks for documenting it for the community of diy hackers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk