Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just wanted to share my installation for anyone wanting to do this.

https://kayakfishingutah.wixsite.com/mysite/blog/hobie-pro-angler-steering-upgrade

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:29 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Interesting, still waiting to get my used 2012 PA14 wet. Wonder if Hobie incorporated this in their latest model?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I installed the rudder BOA in my 2013 PA-14 several years ago too. It really takes the "slop" out of the twin tillers.......you will find the BOA will need to be snugged up when the hull is cold, but loosened up when it becomes warmer....the hull expands a tad and places extra, unnecessary internal tension on all of the hardware unless you loosen the BOA.

Lastly, I always relax the BOA tension once I have loaded my PA on the trailer and drop the rudder as there is no need to place any strain on the internal pulley blocks/sheaves.

The BOA was made standard in the 2014 model year PA-14

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Dr.SteelheadCatcher wrote:
I installed the rudder BOA in my 2013 PA-14 several years ago too. It really takes the "slop" out of the twin tillers.......you will find the BOA will need to be snugged up when the hull is cold, but loosened up when it becomes warmer....the hull expands a tad and places extra, unnecessary internal tension on all of the hardware unless you loosen the BOA.

Lastly, I always relax the BOA tension once I have loaded my PA on the trailer and drop the rudder as there is no need to place any strain on the internal pulley blocks/sheaves.

The BOA was made standard in the 2014 model year PA-14

Hello again Dr.SteelheadCatcher!

It has become painfully obvious I need this tensioner installed on my 2012 PA 14 and so I have decided to but the kit. But, could you please proof KayakFishingUtah's link on install instructions? Seems step 2 contradicts step 4 diagram showing the tensioner knob on the STBD side but step 2 says to drill the hole for it on the PORT side?

https://kayakfishingutah.wixsite.com/my ... ng-upgrade

He also mentions a rudder upgrade. I need to find which one. I have the stock currently. I also have a sail kit that I will use on this PA and a Revo 13 2009 model. I did buy the sailing rudder for the 2009 Revo 13. It's the stow and go flip up version. I assume the PA upgrade rudder is different? I have yet to search this, just wanted to ask.

Thank you,

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Roy,

The BOA is mounted on the port side.....what I can't confirm is if your 2012 PA rudder is rigged exactly the same as the 2013.
On the earlier PA's, Hobie had the rudder/tiller handle mounted on the seat frame and that was not an optional solution. They did eventually change it, but I don't remember what year it was implemented.

Matt can confirm if your 2012 PA rudder layout is the same as 2013's.

When I installed my BOA, it was before information was available, so I visited my local Hobie dealer and checked out a new 2014 PA, to see how and where it was installed.

I installed the "rudder upgrade" to improve tracking while I down rig fish....it's about 25% larger and helped....the down side is you no longer can raise the bow while the stern is on the ground....the rudder extends beyond the cavity that it's retracted into.
Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:00 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks, so this image from KayakFisherUtah is incorrect?

Here's my PA14...look close, my steering handle has a raised knob I made from SS threaded bar and an old router handle knob:

Hi Roy,

The BOA is mounted on the port side.....what I can't confirm is if your 2012 PA rudder is rigged exactly the same as the 2013.
On the earlier PA's, Hobie had the rudder/tiller handle mounted on the seat frame and that was not an optional solution. They did eventually change it, but I don't remember what year it was implemented.

Matt can confirm if your 2012 PA rudder layout is the same as 2013's.

When I installed my BOA, it was before information was available, so I visited my local Hobie dealer and checked out a new 2014 PA, to see how and where it was installed.

I installed the "rudder upgrade" to improve tracking while I down rig fish....it's about 25% larger and helped....the down side is you no longer can raise the bow while the stern is on the ground....the rudder extends beyond the cavity that it's retracted into.
Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Roy, the 2013 PA has dual steering, so I think the 2012 is different, based on your photo....????

You can look inside to see if the line routing is like the diagram and if it is, then adding the BOA on the port side should work.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Roy, the 2013 PA has dual steering, so I think the 2012 is different, based on your photo....????

You can look inside to see if the line routing is like the diagram and if it is, then adding the BOA on the port side should work.

Yep! 2012 PA14 only had the single rudder control on the left side. No need for the BOA on that model year. :wink:

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:34 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

No I don't have dual steering, so I guess this is a bunk idea now? I've tightened the control lines best I can and still this this is super sloppy, I'm always having to make adjustments. No other options here for tighter lines?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello,

Does anyone have an installation video of this? The ones posted no longer work.

I bought the BOA and block to install on my 2019 Hobie Outback which suffers from the loose line issue similar as I understand to the Pro Angler.

Thanks for any help for this.