Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie staff has been persistent in their recommendations against storing a PA on PVC bunks, noting that this can lead to deformities of the upper deck due to load transfer up the scupper tubes. But, it is so darn easy to slide a fully rigged PA14 on and off a trailer outfitted with only PVC bunks fitted to the recessed scupper lines of the hull! So many of us ignore this advice. I was wondering if there was a happy middle ground? Such as using 2" PVC beneath the scalloped cusps of the cradles that fit into the scupper line. This may still allow one to slide the PA on and off the trailer at the waters edge without having to back in deeply enough to float the yak on or off the submerged cradles.
Thoughts?
For those of you using cradles without PVC, how do you get your PA on and off the trailer without scraping the bottom of the hull on the trailer frame, especially when the yak is not yet floating and is supported by only one cradle?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Jim_MI wrote:
Hobie staff has been persistent in their recommendations against storing a PA on PVC bunks, noting that this can lead to deformities of the upper deck due to load transfer up the scupper tubes. But, it is so darn easy to slide a fully rigged PA14 on and off a trailer outfitted with only PVC bunks fitted to the recessed scupper lines of the hull! So many of us ignore this advice. I was wondering if there was a happy middle ground? Such as using 2" PVC beneath the scalloped cusps of the cradles that fit into the scupper line. This may still allow one to slide the PA on and off the trailer at the waters edge without having to back in deeply enough to float the yak on or off the submerged cradles.
Thoughts?
For those of you using cradles without PVC, how do you get your PA on and off the trailer without scraping the bottom of the hull on the trailer frame, especially when the yak is not yet floating and is supported by only one cradle?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I posted a pict of one approach like you mention using both cradles and pvc, here:
https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=63673&p=305770#p305770