Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi, in doing my research for pro anglers I know even these can roll. I was curios about adding scotty stabilizers/outriggers to help reduce that risk. I don't think I need them for stability per say but would they help reduce the risk of rolling the kayak? It looks like Hobie's options for stablizers are not compatible with pro anglers. Thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:50 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Not that hard to roll a PA even with skeg down, and oversized rudder. I’ve come close a few times, and know others who have taken the plunge.

There should be plenty of diy examples to search, though well placed hobie sidekick amas should do the trick. What makes you think they aren’t sufficient? Too high above the waterline?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

From what I've read the bar is not long enough to be compatible with the Pro Anglers.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:48 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

New kayak wrote:
From what I've read the bar is not long enough to be compatible with the Pro Anglers.

I would think that aft of the rear tankwell is plenty narrow.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:05 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sidekick fit perfectly to my PA14. Extra stability is never superfluous.
ImageImage

https://youtu.be/CkAUdZraBHU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I would prefer the Hobie outriggers so thank you.

How about the rolling aspect? Does anyone have experience with outriggers preventing rolling? From what I've seen most rolling occurs when a wave comes in from the side, are outriggers successful in preventing this?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

New Kayak-

Those look to be the Hobie brand Outriggers (with an extension in the middle). Are you talking about adding the Adventure Island AKAS/AMAS?? The second could be and have been done as well- just a costly Mod. I believe they would need to be extended similarly to the Sidekick crossbars.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes and no. We go back to initial versus secondary stability. The wider you make the boat the more it's going to roll with the surface swells and waves. Wether or not it'll capsize depends upon various issues. Just keep in mind that the non-capsizeable boat doesn't exist. If it floats, it can go upside down.

Something guys need to be aware of is boat trim. Try to pack your heavier gear lower in the boat. In rougher waters keep the seat in the lowest possible position. Anything you can do to lower the center of gravity will help somewhat.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you Tom,

That's the information I am looking for. I have never had a fishing kayak before. I am aware anything can roll as you mentioned, I am trying to see what equipment (such as outriggers/stabilizers) can be bought to help reduce the risk.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I rolled my PA14 a couple years ago about a mile offshore - Pacific ocean. Pretty good swell but I got careless. Two contributing factors; First, I had my seat in the high position (I'm 6'-2" and 245 lbs) and second, I had my Hobie H-Rail Tackle Bin positioned on the outside of the boat and filled with all sorts of heavy goodies - nearly 10 lbs worth!

I have considered the Hobie Sidekicks, but have not gone that direction yet. I did however, install a stainless steel telescopic three rung deck ladder at the rear of the PA. When (notice I did not say "if") needed, the ladder is flipped over to hang down for easy reentry. I was unable to get back on the kayak myself and needed the assistance of my buddy who was nearby. Before installing the deck ladder, which by the way takes up very little room with narrow rungs, I tried self rescue in a pool using a rope with PVC rung ladder tied to the rear H-Rail. This turned out to be a fools exercise as it was almost impossible to pull myself up and back on. Your feet and legs need to be straight down or back behind you, to get back on board. When grabbing the H-Rail and placing one foot on the rope ladder, my foot went right up and to the bottom of the boat. Useless!

My point is, you need a sound plan and method to turn your kayak back over and be able to get back on. I do like the idea of the Sidekicks, but make sure you can get back on first. Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The ladder seems like a great solution for getting back on the yak after turtling. Where did you buy the ladder, got any pics?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As Tom points out, if it floats, it can flip. So although sidekick stabilizers can potentiality reduce the likelihood of turtling, I suspect that they would also make it nearly impossible to right again. Anybody ever try righting in a controlled flip situation with stabilizers?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yacoma17 wrote:
The ladder seems like a great solution for getting back on the yak after turtling. Where did you buy the ladder, got any pics?

I bought mine from West Marine, but here is one I found online at Amazon and much cheaper; https://www.amazon.com/M-ARINE-BABY-Sta ... dder&psc=1.

Used stainless steel flat bar and hardware to attach ladder to the flat bar and to the Hobie.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was out on my 2017 Hobie Pro Angler just near the end of the jetty from mission bay it was around 11pm I had lobster hops on the rear. The kayak was very unstable I leaned forward to open the cooler hatch to get my buoy and it was wobbly. So it had me think to put all my ropes away in fear of getting tangled up if I flipped. Well , my fear came to be. A fellow kayaker came up with my large hoop net I was lending to a friend. He asked if I could take it. I reach back over the seat to take the trap and in I went. My kayak belly up in the black water during beginning low tide. So the rip currents wear pulling me out. I tryed exhaustingly to flip the kayak over. It had taken in too much water. I don’t know where it came in but my kayak was waterlogged. I installed lights and they remained on the entire time submerged under water. A fellow kayaker flagged down a small lobster boat. They managed to flip the PA upright. I climbed up from the stern and over the seat but it was ready to flip again. They suggested I climb aboard. They didn’t need to ask me twice. We tied the kayak up and towed back. Stopping for occasionaly due to the bow submerging. I finally got back to Dana landing. Started pumping water out. Then tried to put on my trailer. It was still full of sea water we couldn’t lift the it. So I tied the hoist and pulled it up to the trailer. I got the rest of the water out yesterday. I lost 4 new hoop nets , 1 bouy , three bait cages, my Hobie fish bag returned by a fellow kayaker that had my fishing tackle and shoes in it. I had eight zip ties holding it on to the lid it still broke off. I lost my new knife which I failed to put a leash, my electronic fish scale failed no longer works. I had an waterproof emergency kit in my Hobie behind the seat bag of failed. Everything in sealed had sea water in it. My cooler stayed attached with all its contents Enkle cooler Made in USA. I used Noqua lithium battery’s and they worked wonderfully. The hatches all stayed closed but manage to take in water. Weather it came in from them is still to be determined. I bought the kayak New a few months ago. The one thing couldn’t stand was the pedal straps coming off constantly fighting to reattached them. I think I’m going to cut them off. I wish there was a better solution because I use the lift on the pedal action. I’m taking it over to Hobie tomorrow. There going to look it over for me. I love my PA I don’t care for the cold water in the middle of the night

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I’m currently fabricating outriggers from handlebike mounts and skateboard risers aluminum tubing black paint , a kayak paddle and some plastic pontoons I found at sailboats to go online. I didn’t car for their set up so I designed my own [youtube] https://youtu.be/0UH78fXmTJU[/youtube]

Last edited by HOBIEKONOBIE on Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.