Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:31 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

High folks,

I'm assuming that this finger cleat just below the sail mount point on my 2008 Revo and shock cord knob just under the sail mount point on my 2011 PA 14 has something to do with the sail setup. Can I replace them with a small stainless bolted through pad-eye? I want to use it as my MD tether point.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Roy,
This is an old photo showing the black nylon pad eye, I bolted to the left side of the sailing cleat on my PA-14.
I used a 3/16" nylon line attached to my Mirage drive and the quick clamp that connects to to the pad eye.....simple and very strong.

You can see the heel straps I made from the extra NRS webbing that I used to "loosely secure" my PA, to my trailer.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:31 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thank you Dr.SteelheadCatcher

I figured I'd have to install a pad eye somewhere else nearby. I just want to try to make as few as possible holes in the hull. I guess the sail mast has a shock cord to attach to these anchor points and to change it to a pad eye may not be a good idea (not to mention the hole spacing on the one on the revo is only 3/4" and I can't seem to find any pad eye small enough). My V2 MD spine has a forward spot with an opening/hole to attach a tether, but my V1 spine doesn't. I guess drilling a 1/4" or 3/8" hole in the same area of the spine will be okay?

I've been talking with my father-in-law who's out of state and has an Adventure Island and one thing he shared with me about the MD pedals is he found it a bit frustrating that gravity would always flip the pedals upside down. Attached is a pic below to show how he used 1/8" shock cord to remedy that (super simple and effective). I image this is a well-know trick?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Roy, the pedal return position is an issue as your father-in-law commented

About 4 years ago, one of the NW Kayak Anglers Assn members decided to offer "Rock Solid Pedal Arms" made out of solid aluminum stock.
At that time, there was a problem with some Hobie pedal arms breaking.......my arms appeared to be good, but I decided to purchase a pair "just in case".

Once the RSPA's were received, a small problem came up about how to reposition the foot pedal, as the hole location in the arm seemed problematic.

The two photos show below how I solved the problem....I needed to buy a new piece of bungee, two fender washers and drill one hole in each pedal underside as shown.

Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie did introduce the bungie pedal righting mod as standard, but its fragile and soon frays. The inconvenience is not as bad if not using foot straps.

I would just put a stand alone stout padeye with bolts and washers. Always handy to have leash points, and wont leak.