Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Could use some Engineering/Design advice, as properly rigging this is bedeviling me. I have two (2) Hobie Pro-Angler 14's (2016). And two Sailing kits. Primarily do Inshore Coastal (saltwater) Fishing in North Florida Area. Trying to get the correct attachment(s) to rig a Sailing kit to each gunwale in event the wind kicks up and we have to beat a retreat back to launch site. Have been "caught short" with changing winds, etc. When you're pedaling furiously, and the shoreline doesn't move, you know you're "in it". Plus "getting there" is OK, but fishing there already is the goal.

NO, cannot & will NOT insert into Mast Holes ... Already have two Standup H bars, and Fishing comes First. Obviously, a sail in the face is going to impede navigation. (just to eliminate that option straightaway).

Considering the Hobie H-Rail G-Hold, #84620200, a pair of 'em, but the 2016 railing still looks too short, meaning the sailing kits are going to get unduly Bent.

Already using the Hobie H-Rail Rod Racks on outside of both PA-14's, for stowing paddles & push poles. But Slots of these are TOO SMALL for the bagged sailing kits; plus being splashed w salt water is NOT a good idea for a Sailing Kit.

Best type of "Rig" I can think of? Would be one of those "G Holds" on the railing, up inside the kayaks, maybe extending out the backs (sterns). God knows there's enough tail deck room back there to put a kiddie diving platform.

Perhaps somebody has been through this designer-hell already and can give my brain some respite?

Other factoids:
- both PA-14's travel underneath official Hobie PA-14 covers, which are very tight-fitting. Sailing kits go on the trailer, lashed down between the hulls.
Otherwise, they'd be unduly bent underneath the covers, & constantly stored in that bent position. Yes, I know they bend under strain, but that's "Wind", not rope torque.

Somebody HAS to have done this!
I'll reciprocate with my jim-crack, ultra-cool, boat ramp RENOWNED, Malone Kayak Trailer conversion * Design* ... to dual Winches ... with enough torque to bend a brass bridge.

Tired of Analysis Paralysis. My Brain hurts.

thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:01 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Some possibilities:

Shorten the mast/ sail to a conveniently stowable length.

Mount a trolling motor and use it to race the lightning instead.

Dispense with the factory sail and use a lateen sail.

Disjoint the mast while the sail is furled, fold assembly in half, then stow.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for response, but afraid I'm already committed. I have two sailing kits. But at $450 per, I'm not going to be cutting any masts.
That also puts the sails inside the deck.
??

I am getting more and more confident that with the right attachments, these masts WILL, in fact, fit inside as I'm designing.
Stay tuned.
I'm going to be "the grandest cat in the jungle".
At least in the sailing kit jury-rigged department.
:mrgreen: