Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: evolution of pro angler
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

In the market for a used pro angler.

What are the differences between the years? 2010-2018?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The basic differences:

2010 - Steering attached to the corner of the green plastic seat.
2011 - Steering moved off the seat to the left wall.
2012 - Reinforced scupper liners added.
2013 - Floor layout changed, Vantage seat added. Steering capability added on both sides.
2014 - BOA rudder line tensioner added.
2015 - Skeg added under the rear to help with tracking and wind. H-Rails introduced. Mirage Drive GT introduced
2016 - Can't remember off the top of my head what changed...lol!
2017 - MD-180 introduced. Camo color added. Papaya color changed to a different shade for Papaya. Floor area in front of Mirage drive well changed as far as the space between the well and the front wall.
2018 - Padeye XL tie downs introduced and a few small changes. Front mounting boards changed slightly. Seagrass color added.

Hope this helps.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

Last edited by SRAces on Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

yes! thank you so much

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm looking at getting into a Hobie PA myself I had been looking for this info for some time.

As a newbie, could someone in the know suggest what year on I should looking for?

From that list, 2015 on with the H-Rails etc on is what I am thinking.

What about PA12 versus PA14 and PA17?

I'm thinking in the middle at a PA14.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:08 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sopa wrote:
I'm looking at getting into a Hobie PA myself I had been looking for this info for some time.

As a newbie, could someone in the know suggest what year on I should looking for?

From that list, 2015 on with the H-Rails etc on is what I am thinking.

What about PA12 versus PA14 and PA17?

I'm thinking in the middle at a PA14.

Cheers!

To me the GT drive is worth it and a big upgrade over the previous drive so I would choose at least a 2015 or newer. If you do a lot of bank style fishing (for bass, etc.) the 180 drive (starting in 2017) is really nice to have.

As far as 12, 14 or 17 that depends on a number of things. But the 14 will be faster and a little more stable, hold 2 additional rods in the built in rod holders and provide more front hatch room over the 12. The 14 is obviously going to be heavier so transporting comes into play. I use a trailer for my 14. No way I would try to car top it. Loaded with my gear I'm likely around 200 lbs. Sorry I'm not familiar with the 17's.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have always gone with the PA12 for both transportation and storage reasons. I find that it is plenty big enough for my needs and I just wouldn't have the room at my house to store a 14' kayak. The 12' is also very easy to just slide into the back of my truck and go. No need for a trailer or even a load extender.

As far as years go, I would get one as new as you can afford. I would definitely stick with something that has the H rails since there are so many accessories that are now made to go with them. If you can afford one with the reverse drive, I would think that would be very nice to have but not a must have for me.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

SRAces wrote:
The basic differences:

2013 - Floor layout changed, Vantage seat added. Steering capability added on both sides.
2015 - Skeg added under the rear to help with tracking and wind. H-Rails introduced. Mirage Drive GT introduced
2017 - MD-180 introduced. Camo color added. Papaya color changed to a different shade for Papaya. Floor area in front of Mirage drive well changed as far as the space between the well and the front wall.
2018 - Padeye XL tie downs introduced and a few small changes. Front mounting boards changed slightly. Seagrass color added.

Hope this helps.

FYI- the PA12 was introduced in 2012 with the Vantage seat, dual steering, and flat floor in front of the seat with the rectangular hold. mine was a very solid boat, I'm not aware of any issues with the early PA12 boats, not my choice for ocean and near ocean conditions here in Oregon, but a great boat for lots of different fishing situations...cheers, roger

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 5:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

rogerdodger wrote:
SRAces wrote:
The basic differences:

Hope this helps.

FYI- the PA12 was introduced in 2012 with the Vantage seat, dual steering, and flat floor in front of the seat with the rectangular hold. mine was a very solid boat, I'm not aware of any issues with the early PA12 boats, not my choice for ocean and near ocean conditions here in Oregon, but a great boat for lots of different fishing situations...cheers, roger

My timeline was for the PA14. Agree with PA12 coming out in 2012. :wink:

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In 2009, my first Hobie Mirage kayak was a 2010 Outback. I sold it in 2012 and then bought a new 2013 PA-14.
I considered the PA-12, but for only $100 more, the PA-14 was a super deal as I already owned a Hobie Trailex trailer for transport. The new Vantage seat was my prime motivation for change.

I mostly down rig fish and decided to "upgrade" the rudder by adding the sailing rudder, to improve tracking.

Then, when the 2014 PA-14 came out with the rudder BOA addition, I bought the BOA parts for around $35 and installed it. So, basically, feature wise, I have a 2014 PA-14.

The only other change I made was to upgrade the GT Mirage drive, when the "roller bearing" change was made.

Otherwise, my modified/upgraded 2013, PA-14 has been trouble free and a sweet fishing platform.