Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Everyone,

First time poster here, and first time Pro Angler owner. I bought a PA 12 recently and haven't even had it on the water yet. I'm looking into fish finders and have it narrowed down to the Lowrance Elite Ti7 or the Garmin EchoMap 73sv. I like the ability of automapping with the Garmin unit, but not sure if the extra grief of install on the Guardian system will be worth it. I'm also not sure how mounting will work with the Garmin unit. I'm not super handy, and the few install videos I can find on YouTube stress me out. I think I can pull of the Lowrance install with the step by step instruction video I can find from Hobie, but if I deviate into Garmin I'm not sure.

Anyone install a Garmin Echomap in their Pro Angler? Can you point to any videos or tell me what equipment you purchased for your install?

I also appreciate any insight as to preferences between the Lowrance and Garmin.

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just installed the Garmin on my new PA 12, had the same concerns but really wanted the Garmin for mapping so went with it. Transducer was easy, just had to drill 4 holes in the guardian and cut a notch for the wire. There are no videos or templates out there that I could find but it wasn’t too difficult to figure out. Even if you completely screw it up you can probably replace the guardian plate for a few bucks, but I don’t think that’s a big gamble. Still waiting for the YakAttack mount I ordered for the monitor. I’ll let you know how that fits when I get it, it was the best choice I could find. Mounts in the track on either side. Worst case if you want the Garmin you can probably have the shop you bought the boat from do the install. Also ordered a BerleyPro cover for the transducer, just in case. Sorry, not much help but my experience so far.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

1jerseymike wrote:
I just installed the Garmin on my new PA 12, had the same concerns but really wanted the Garmin for mapping so went with it. Transducer was easy, just had to drill 4 holes in the guardian and cut a notch for the wire. There are no videos or templates out there that I could find but it wasn’t too difficult to figure out. Even if you completely screw it up you can probably replace the guardian plate for a few bucks, but I don’t think that’s a big gamble. Still waiting for the YakAttack mount I ordered for the monitor. I’ll let you know how that fits when I get it, it was the best choice I could find. Mounts in the track on either side. Worst case if you want the Garmin you can probably have the shop you bought the boat from do the install. Also ordered a BerleyPro cover for the transducer, just in case. Sorry, not much help but my experience so far.

Thank you Mike, appreciate the info! Let me know how the mount works. I'm definitely leaning towards the Garmin now, due to the possibility of upgrading to this Livescope technology I've been learning about in the future.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Finally got the parts delivered and installed. YakAttack mount was a good choice. It sits lower than an H rail mount and far enough forward to be out of the way, but not too far to reach controls. I used the Hobie battery holder on the sail mast with a Nocqua 10 battery. Also installed the BerleyPro transducer protector and sun visor. The transducer protector requires the transducer to be centered, I was lucky with my install. They mention that if you use the standard Lowrance mount you may need to modify, so just so you’re aware. Sun visor does add to the overall size of the monitor, but from past experience I think the benefit will outweigh that. The only difference between the Lowrance and Garmin install is the transducer. If you can run a drill and use a hand file or Dremel for the cable you should be able to install this yourself. Just take your time, we’ve got a few weeks before all the ice is gone anyway. Let me know if you have any other questions and I’ll try to help. This seems like a lightly used forum.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

1jerseymike wrote:
Finally got the parts delivered and installed. YakAttack mount was a good choice. It sits lower than an H rail mount and far enough forward to be out of the way, but not too far to reach controls. I used the Hobie battery holder on the sail mast with a Nocqua 10 battery. Also installed the BerleyPro transducer protector and sun visor. The transducer protector requires the transducer to be centered, I was lucky with my install. They mention that if you use the standard Lowrance mount you may need to modify, so just so you’re aware. Sun visor does add to the overall size of the monitor, but from past experience I think the benefit will outweigh that. The only difference between the Lowrance and Garmin install is the transducer. If you can run a drill and use a hand file or Dremel for the cable you should be able to install this yourself. Just take your time, we’ve got a few weeks before all the ice is gone anyway. Let me know if you have any other questions and I’ll try to help. This seems like a lightly used forum.

Thanks again! I did go with Garmin. I bought the 93sv Echomap plus. I've since realized I also need a trailer for the Hobie since car topping is too much of a bear. The place I'm buying the trailer from is installing the Garmin for $100 so I figured I would save the grief and let them do it. I think I could have managed, but this will be an easy one stop shop to have it all set up.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Good choice. Enjoy.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello friends, I just installed the Garmin Striker 7SV transducer to my PA 14. I did have to make some cuts to the plate, but it was pretty easy and was willing to take the risk since the replacement cost of the plate was minimal. It worked out fine.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello,

I was thinking about going with this same setup for my PA14. Do you have any pics of the setup/guardian install? And is this the correct berleypro cover for the transducer?

https://www.berleypro.com/product/berle ... raymarine/

Garmin model I'm considering, I believe its the same one: https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Echomap-C ... =8-1-fkmr1

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a 93sv+ on my PA14 and love it.

I just pulled the trigger on a Livescope transducer also.

I'll be posting up in about 2 weeks the mount I came up with. I am 3d printing them right now, but am getting injection molds made for the retail market. The livescope is a game changer if there ever was. This is my first Garmin, but won't be my last.

Tight lines, Phill

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What is your power setup for the livescope + Exchomap. I'm trying to find an optimal config for Ah and weight.

Thanks!