Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: big guy question pa 14
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi chomping at the bit to buy a pro angler 14 2018 or 2019, but have a few concerns being that I'm 300 lbs. I know the yak is rated for 600lbs. but would I have issues with water coming through the mirage drive hole while sitting.(old towne predator wet ride) I don't really want an inch of water on floor all the time. I understand if I'm going to the front hatch it would probably get water coming up through the mirage drive hole. Also the vantage seat is rated for 350 lbs. but I look at the rope on the seat and all I can think is there is no way that's going to hold me or would the ratchets in the armrests handle the weight. This kayak is so set up for the fisherman and is my first choice in a kayak but if it cant support my weight I may have to go a different route. I'm going to try and demo one but looking for some of the communities opinions.

Thanks in advance ,
fishyakr

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I don’t think so. I’m 220 plus fishing gear, and my 2017 PA wasn’t even beginning to settle in.

That rope is dyneema and probably could hold 500-1000 lbs or more. As long as you don’t make a habit of flopping in the chair, you should be golden.

It sounds like you need a test drive to allay your concerns, and you will. Just keep the foam support blocks in their proper places in the hull, under the seat.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm 260+ and dont have a problem 2017 pa14

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

No worries, I’m just over 300lbs and carry a lot of gear, a small battery, and a downrigger at times. No problems with water coming in through the mirage drive hole in my 2017. I have even put a low beach chair back to back with the Hobie seat and taken my wife or one of my adult daughters out with me on the lake a few times (wise husbands don’t quote their wife’s weight), and still had no issues. Seat is fine so far. Been very happy with the PA14 and it’s stability for a guy my size and height. I know I’ve seen a couple of videos on youtube of people that make me look tiny using the PA14 who were comfortable enough to take it offshore. If you are worried about getting to the storage up front, keep the rarely used stuff there, and put the stuff you use most in a crate behind the seat. I mostly use the front hatch to store my rod holders and other gear when off the water and things not used often, like extra clothes if the weather turns, and a small anchor which I rarely use. I don’t access the front very often when on the water, so to be honest I am not sure if I ever had any water come in while at the front. Regardless it would drain out the instant you go back to the seat as there are a number of drainage holes, so there would be no water to remain. I think if you got the PA14 you would be quite happy with it. It’s truly a big guys kayak.

Regards

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Wow that's great to hear, I love the hobie it's so easy to accessorize with h rail and plugs in place for wiring, truly designed for the fisherman. That's hysterical about not asking wife's weight but so true, I don't dare ask my wife . I've been looking at others like Jackson big rig fd but keep going back to the hobie. People seem more comfortable using the mirage drive pumping than people pedalling. When pedalling, people seem to be almost laying down. Although there are advantages to pedals like instant reverse I still like the open deck and it's not a big deal to pull the lever for reverse. Thank you so much for the responds it puts my mind at ease. Especially from someone who is of equal weight.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I do like the hobie style of propulsion. I have a bad back, and find between the adjustability of the seat and the mirage pedals combined with the pumping actually seems to help my back in the long run. I also like the fact that the fins can lay flat up near the hull and flutter in shallow water or weeds that would stop a regular pedal boat.

Another thing to consider about the PA14 is the fact that it is easy to use the spare plug for the mirage drive to mount an electric trolling motor. I just finished installing a Pulse Wave Modulator into a Watersnake 24lb saltwater trolling motor today to make it variable speed and extend battery life. Dirt cheap option for adding a motor if you ever want to do it. And the controls are all right there in front of you. Don’t plan on using it exclusively as I need the exercise - but it is nice for trolling at times, especially when putting out your lines, or a downrigger setup.

Hope you find your Hobie.

Regards,

Redbird

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You you have put my mind at ease, you have been a wealth of information. Thank you

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Consider a PA 17T. It is a dream to navigate solo. With a 900 pound capacity, all your concerns will vanish.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well it's official, I just purchased a 2019 hobie pro angler 14. I'm so excited I just pissed myself . Lol. Thanks for the advise ,fishyakr.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This was very helpful. I am just shy of 300 and found this conversation comforting. I just bought a PA 14 and can't wait to get it on the water. We still have ice on our lakes here in Denver. Hopefully lids will come off soon and can get out for the maiden voyage.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just purchased my first Kayak, the Hobie PA-14. I am weighing in at 280, and I put it in the swimming pool yesterday for a leak check and practicing flipping it back over and getting in after a capsize. (dealers recommendation)
It was very easy to flip back over and I do not have any worries about it's stability with my big fat a** in it. It feels very steady.
I also bought the sail kit, last years colors are $120 off the retail price.
I plan on going out in it next week.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was 265 when I bought my 2016 PA14 (in June of 2017) and it was not an issue. I'm down to 235, but still don't have the best balance, even standing in the shower in my house. I keep the seat on the low position all the time, and i've landed some big fish with no issues at all.

Tight Lines

- McH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am also considering a Hobie Pro Angler. I'm about 300# and if I get the PA14, I can transport it using my 6.5'x14' utility trailer. If I go with the PA17, I'd have to buy a dedicated trailer. I'm concerned about loading and unloading the 17 because I do have back issues. I currently have a Native Titan 12 and really like the stability, but think the next larger size would be better for a guy my size. I'm fishing solo 99% of the time, so the PA17 would be harder to justify.

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm a proud new owner of a PA14. I too am just shy of 300lbs and the PA14 is perfect. I wanted a boat that would be stable enough for my weight plus some gear and I also was very concerned about transporting the kayak, and getting off/on the water by myself, because I fish solo most of the time as well. I did get a Malone kayak trailer to transport the PA14 because I have a Jeep and no pickup truck. I can report that moving the PA14 around with the heavy duty hobie kart is doable and I have no problems loading and unloading the PA14 on the Kayak trailer.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I can vouch for the capacity issues or lack there of on the PA14. I check in at 6’6” 300#. I have two prosthetic knees, over 63, and a suspect ticker. I can’t walk a stream any longer. I have been buying canoes and trying to modify them because canoes generally have a much higher capacity rating. I have tried stabilizers. I custom built and raised the seats while reinforcing their weight bearing capabilities. I tried trolling motors, but they make the balance in an inherently unstable platform sketchy. It seems just turning to adjust the motor gives the sensation of going over.
So just to say I have tried other crafts is an understatement. My dear wife was always afraid I was going over and down. Finally she and my son convinced me to look harder. The folks at Scheels were great. The really surprising part is my wife wanted one too. Ok, so she got a Passport 120. But she doesn’t approach any weight limits, which is as much as I’ll say too.
The big upsides for me are ease of entry due to sitting height above the water. I need the exercise. I don’t mind, in fact enjoy the propulsion system. Plus, where I live I have to license and pay fees for a motor. But not for pedals. Extremely stable. I sit high enough above the water to need to bend a ways just to clean my hands after a fish. Then I figured out to use the water in the mirage hole. The only real upgrade I would advise it the stand up H-Bar.
The best part of the whole deal is my wife and I fish together. Great Social Distancing activity. Plus if you are dumb enough the put a Rapala down on your seat while getting the two of you off shore and then not remember until you have pedaled out 100 yards....... well who would you rather be there to “rectify” the situation?

Best purchase we have ever made.