Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

questions - diameter of built in rod holders at rear of PA14
any designs for DIY trolling motor side mount using rod holders
any DIY designs that can use H rail for trolling motor mount
most useful deep cycle battery for trolling motor with 12v 35AH base requirement
Any suggestion for extending Hrail DIY without using the 9inch rail
Any DIY solutions for Hobie's Adjustable Pro Angler H-Bar for stand-up kayak fishing

Many thanks for your input

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:00 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Not sure on the diameter of the rod holders.
I noticed Brocraft makes a kayak side mount that looks like it'd work well. Search for Brocraft Fishing Kayak Trolling Motor Mount Universal. I know this isn't DYI but maybe it'll give you some ideas. I'm pretty handy and enjoy DYI projects but if I was looking for a side mount this is the route I would go without question.
Are you thinking of using the rear handle to mount a trolling motor? If so I'd use 2 Railblaza RailMount 32-41's with Railblaza blank plates. Then use 90 degree angle braces to mount a piece of heavy duty cutting board (or other HDPP flat plate) to mount the trolling motor on. I wouldn't think using the H rail on the sides would work for a trolling motor. I believe they are just mounted with one bolt on each end.
I have an H-Bar and honestly I tried it once and took it off and never used it again. But mine has 4 mounting points- 2 in the front of the H-Bar and 2 in the rear. The 2 in the front are bolted to my accessory plate in front of the H-rail. The 2 in the rear are clamped to my H-rail so I can adjust it by unclamping the rear anchoring points and sliding them as needed.