Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Greetings! TI owner since 2012 felt it was time to give Hobie some more money, so I just picked up a brand new PA17 along with the sail and furling kit. I'm looking for any recommendations for install/rigging for best performance while still allowing for two passengers. The typical install has you run the sheet through the rear pad eye which isn't an option on the PA17. I am not opposed to buying some additional hardware to do this right. Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Don't have a PA so can't say for sure but I would think just a simple block attached to the rear handle with a loop of cord would be fine. It's not very practical to have the sail close hauled too tight so a little travel in the rear block shouldn't matter.

Personally I would make a dyneema rope shackle and use a ronstan shock block. The dyneema shackle is overkill (I doubt you'd ever max more than 20kg force on the sheet) but fun. The shock blocks are great cos nothing to get dirt in or lock up.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Actually I just realize that would create a problem with the sheet return switching sides.

Ok my first thought was creating a cord that runs from one side of the rear handle to the other. Tie a loop in the middle and attach the block there. Ideally I would probably use a file or dremel to cut a groove in the handle surface that mates to the hull and run the cord through that slot but you could also just drill a small hole in the handle.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the reply. I probably should have clarified that the main issue with rigging to the rear handle area is going to be the sheet in the way of the rear passenger. Something like this may be the only option https://youtu.be/X2Offm2OEBc?t=132. I was hoping not to have to spend another $350 on the H-Bar.