Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a 2015 PA14 and I am looking to remove my Boonedox landing gear. I bought the KC Welder to fill the holes, but either my wife or kids threw away the rods thinking they were trash. I called my dealer who is an hour away from me and they do not have any rods. Does Hobie stock welding rods? If so, how can I order some?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I think that I read somewhere the dealer is supposed to be able to get them for you, and what is more supplied for free.

However I recently went in to my dealer to get some and found out Hobie don't even make the rods for my color kayak (2018 slate blue) so I can't repair mine even if I want to. If I get some serious damage apparently I either have to throw my hull out or repair it with some other color which will make my boat look like a piece of trash. How bad is that?

The dealer also said that Hobie were discontinuing the KC Welder support.

The only good news was that apparently you can request for chunks (can't remember exactly what he called them). These are chopped up pieces of hulls that were beyond repair or something like that. However he also said they didn't have any of those in my color.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the info. I can work with chunks if needed. Just need some pieces to patch the screw holes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

kveille wrote:
Thanks for the info. I can work with chunks if needed. Just need some pieces to patch the screw holes.

Maybe look inside the hatches, there has to be some spare plastic you can cut out. Does not seem like you would need a lot to repair the screw holes.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If you contact Hobie, they will send you free welding rods. In the case where they don't make actual rods, they'll probably send you waste plastic from actual kayaks that you can use.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 10:28 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have used these push rivets to plug up holes that were drilled by the previous owner. I used a little Marine Goop and they work great. Don't leak at all.

https://www.amazon.com/Ribbed-Push-Rive ... B07CTKQXRS