Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 12:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm clearly up a creek 'without a paddle' on this one. I can't figure out how to store my PA.

Suggestions that don't work:
    Storing flat on hoist system in garage: will not work due to the size of my 1 car garage and my vehicle. Both can not fit.
    Storing outside on a patio / porch: will not work, against HOA
    Storing in a storage unit: can't pay 60+/mo
    Storing inside my house: my wife would kill me

The only thing I can possibly consider is storing it on its side in my garage, next to my vehicle.
I can do what ever it takes to make this work, with multiple straps suspended from the roof, building a custom side rack, etc. I'm all ears and kind of desperate.

I've read , and been informed not to store my PA on its side. Which is why I'm here!

Thanks in advance!
O

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 5:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You really have absolutely no space above your vehicle? The roller door is lower than my Oasis.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 5:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

yakking wrote:
You really have absolutely no space above your vehicle? The roller door is lower than my Oasis.

1' from ceiling to bottom of garage rail..
17" from the rail to my Jeep.
39" from wall to side of Jeep.

It is a tight squeeze. I spoke to the wife and we may just force her to park in the garage since her suv is 8" shorter.

Last edited by oonej on Fri May 31, 2019 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 4:38 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Storing the PA14 takes about 18" of vertical space not including anything you have under it for support (pvc pipe, saddles, etc). IMO the most likely storage option for you is to figure out a way to hang it from your garage ceiling unless you want to park your vehicle outside. Not sure what your layout is like but in my experience typically when a garage door is open there is some room to hang or mount stuff on the ceiling parallel to the open garage door or perpendicular to your vehicle. This would be the area over the hood of your vehicle when your vehicle is in the garage. I have rod holder racks mounted on my garage ceiling in this area that hold all my rods/reels. I don't have any experience with any hoist systems but have seen them with 3" PVC pipes place under the kayak and that looks like it would work. Obviously the Hobie craddles would be best.

yakking I like the way you have the wood frame supporting the kayak. No offense but personally I would add some sort of heat deflector to keep the intense heat off the kayak. I know I would eventually forget and leave the light on and possibly warp the kayak from excessive heat.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 8:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Swfinatic wrote:
Storing the PA14 takes about 18" of vertical space not including anything you have under it for support (pvc pipe, saddles, etc). IMO the most likely storage option for you is to figure out a way to hang it from your garage ceiling unless you want to park your vehicle outside. Not sure what your layout is like but in my experience typically when a garage door is open there is some room to hang or mount stuff on the ceiling parallel to the open garage door or perpendicular to your vehicle. This would be the area over the hood of your vehicle when your vehicle is in the garage. I have rod holder racks mounted on my garage ceiling in this area that hold all my rods/reels. I don't have any experience with any hoist systems but have seen them with 3" PVC pipes place under the kayak and that looks like it would work. Obviously the Hobie craddles would be best.

yakking I like the way you have the wood frame supporting the kayak. No offense but personally I would add some sort of heat deflector to keep the intense heat off the kayak. I know I would eventually forget and leave the light on and possibly warp the kayak from excessive heat.

Refer to post above (my post was delayed due to being new )

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 8:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Swfinatic wrote:

I wouldn't have considered a diffused fluorescent to put out much heat but will look into it. Actually now you've got me thinking because there is often a heater used nearby. However the kayak should be supported optimally and I have never had problems in ambient temperatures that are higher than what the heater thermostat is set at.

As for clearance I only had 14" above that door into the house. The kayak gets taller at the nose so it had to go in that way.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 8:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

oonej wrote:

It is a tight squeeze. I spoke to the wife and we may just force her to park in the garage since her suv is 8" shorter.

Do some measuring. Any chance you can squeeze it under the rail?

I mean Hobie list the height as 20"
You say you have 17" from rail to Jeep, but it's even more down to the top of the Jeep door and you can always park the Jeep a few inches off-center to make more room on one side.

or get a roller door :)

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 9:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

yakking wrote:
oonej wrote:

Do some measuring. Any chance you can squeeze it under the rail?

I mean Hobie list the height as 20"
You say you have 17" from rail to Jeep, but it's even more down to the top of the Jeep door and you can always park the Jeep a few inches off-center to make more room on one side.

or get a roller door :)

Yeah that is what I was going to try. I'm most likely just going to force the wife to park in the garage when needed because her vehicle is about 8" shorter than mine.

What weight limit hoist do you suggest? 145 acceptable?

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 4:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I wouldn't suggest a hoist at all. In your case the support needs to come from underneath because anything else will obstruct the door. I would look to build a set of arms that swing out from the wall. Something like ...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So, roof hoist is out of the question, confirmed it yesterday. It wont fit :(
only options are to sell the hobie or store it on its side.
The main concern with resting on its side is the deformation of the hull while in a garage/heat?
Has anyone heard of anything like this working?

the supports would be cut to the shape of the hull. Evenly spaced and padded. I would imagine this would reduce the weight on any single point and shouldn't deform it?
EDIT:
or what about a hammock?