Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

How goes gents,

New to forum here, nice to meet everyone.

My Raymarine Dragonfly pro recently kicked the bucket, and I'm looking for a small fishfinder, but wondering if anyone may have a suggestion for best brand and model, taking into consideration the size of the Mirage.

Most places point to Garmin as the top of the pack, but I see a lot of fishermen with forums just dedicated to Lowrance... there must be something there. I'm looking at the Hook2's: https://citimarinestore.com/en/400-lowrance-marine-electronics.

Has anyone heard anything about the Hook2, or has experience with Lowrance in general?

The other option I'm looking at is the Garmin Striker, seems to have been around quite a while, must be pretty solid: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-water/fishfinders/cOnTheWater-cFishfinders-p1.html

My Dragonfly didn't last as long as I'd like (3 years), so hoping to buy one that I can get more performance out of for a longer period of time.

Open to any feedback. Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have owned both Lowrance and Humminbird fish finders over the past 28 years and the Humminbirds have never failed.

The Lowrance unit was plagued with intermittent issues and I finally got rid of it after two factory warranty repairs.

My current Humminbird is Model 768 I bought in July 2011 and still in use.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Jeff -
I have installed and used Lowrance (Eagle Cuda S-Map), Raymarine (Dragonfly 5 Pro) and Humminbird (Helix 5 DI Chirp) fishfinders on my PA14's and Outback. They all work and catch fish. I'll have to say that the Dragonfly is my favorite, though. Aside from the kludgy live mapping feature that is supposed to refine your Navionics charts on the fly (but has never worked), the DF just works well out of the box with very minimal on-water tweaking required. My Helix is more sophisticated, but commands frequent button-pushing to keep it dialed in as the depth and bottom contours change while trolling. The DF shows much better fish arches than the Helix.
Let us know what you get and how it performs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk