Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am still in the process of designing the rack I will use to transport my 2020 PA 14 once it gets here. I want to make sure that the rack I build will be the corrects dimensions so that when I drive all the way to the dealer to pick it up I don't have one of those "Oh Sh*t!" moments and discover that the PA doesn't fit with my trailer/rack set up.

I have ordered a set of Hobie cradles and, thanks to Matt, I know they will need to be spaced about 67" apart. Now I am in need of the approximate distance from the center line of the mounting holes for the bow cradle to the end of the PA bow. I want to make sure that I have adequate clearance between the end of the PA bow and the rear hatch door of my car. I don't have a lot of tongue length on the trailer to play with. So, knowing this distance is important.

By the way, I saw a sub-post from my last topic that indicated there is some question about whether the current PA cradles will fit the new 360 hull. If that is a real issue I would like to know about it now.

Gary

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Gary could you post photos of how you are securing your Pro Angler once you get it? I am also wanting to transport mine in the best possible manner. Thanks in advance Steve

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I haven't posted a picture to this forum before so let's see if this works. If it doesn't work then hopefully I will get a little help from the forum moderator :wink:

Here is the rack I built using an old Saris bike rack and adding new mounting rails for the hobie cradles. I used the bike rack since it will fit on my little camper and also on my car roof rack. I intend to store the PA14 on the camper and also use it as my "trailer" for local lakes as well as trips to the Gulf coast. Once I am set up in a campground I can transfer the rack to my car if need be to haul the kayak to a different location.

I am still WAITING on my PA14 360. Hope it gets here soon.

[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/wk4VsScydjSrtHDp8/[img]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Your link does not seem to work ???

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hmm...let me try something else.

[Url]https://photos.app.goo.gl/wk4VsScydjSrtHDp8/[url]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very novel idea :!:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks, Dr. steelheadcatcher. Sorry I didn't get the picture to load in the post. But, you figured out that you can simply copy the URL and see the photo, so kudos to you. The novel idea is a result of "necessity is the mother of invention".

I actually bought the Lees-ure Lite camper to pull behind my Harley TriGlide. I like to camp and the trailer only weighs 265 lbs. dry. I've had some great trips with it. But, it is hot down here in TX and a fan just doesn't cut it when the overnight low is 85 degrees. I have a small window A/C that fits a mounting system that came with the trailer but that adds another 40 lbs. and that, along with the 30 lbs. of gear inside, gets me into the "nervous" zone when towing with the motorcycle. So, I had a paradigm shift and decided to pull it with my Ford Escape since weight issues would no longer be a problem. But, then I wondered what I would do without the TriGlide to keep me occupied since I travel alone. Over the years I have spent many, many hours on the water either in sailboats or windsurfers and I love to fish. But, at 72 fishing seemed to hold the most interest. That's how the idea of a kayak crept into view. I happened across a YouTube vid of the new Hobie 360 and was instantly hooked (pun intended). I found a local dealer and pre-ordered one. In the meantime I had to come up with something that would make sense for storage and the "outside" option just wasn't appealing. After many mental iterations, I came up with the idea of not only transporting the kayak, but also storing it, on the camper. The camper only weighs 300 lbs. loaded and the manufacturer says that the axles are rated for 600 lbs. so as long as I don't exceed that rating I am good to go. The "rack" you see mounted on the camper is actually the floor when it is open, so it is plenty strong. Since I still don't have my PA 14 yet, I had to build the rack based on what I could find (or not find) on this forum. So, until that new boat is on it I am still in the "proof of concept" phase. Hopefully I will be able to report on success in the next few weeks.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I read someone said they had ordered a Hobie cradle , I have not seen one online can anyone direct me to where i can purchase one ?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My first post here. I'm a proud owner of a PA 14 360 and I love it. I bought a Malone Microsport trailer with retractable tongue.

Originally thought to use PVC for bunking but dealer suggested Hobie wings. Found Malone mounts for Hobie wings and the whole combo works quite well. I constructed a storage cart to for the kayak so I just slide on and slide off.

I would highly recommend the Hobie bunks.

David