Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm about to get my 1st fishing kayak (Hobie pa 12). Just wondered what would be a good and safe way to transport it without a truck. Some of the kayak trailers are really expensive.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:12 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Welcome to the forum! If you have at least 7 ft of load space in your vehicle, you should have it made (there could be height limitations if you have a trunk). Note, the boat shown is a Revo 11, not a PA 12. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks ROADRUNNER for the response. I have a CRV and VW Bettle . Hopefully I can get a hitch no the Bettle, and pull the PA 12 on a trailer. My daughter drives the CRV and do not what to give it up. The best priced trailer I've found was at Academy Sports for $700.00, kayak fishing is getting pricey.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

https://www.austinkayak.com/Trailex-Ult ... 4833P.html

For under $1100 you have a trailer that works well for storing the kayak and transporting the kayak and for launching the kayak with gear loaded. Easy for a single person to wheel the trailer and kayak around in the yard or at a boat ramp location.

I was using my truck to haul around both kayaks and when I would get to a boat ramp I had to take the empty kayaks down to the dock and then quickly take everything else to mount on the kayak so I would paddle off with it. Far easier to get the kayaks ready to go while in the parking lot and then to quickly back down with the trailer and float them off into the water. Also much easier to retrieve them in the same fashion by clipping onto the bow cord and then pulling the trailer out of the water.

Whatever trailer you buy get one that can be put into saltwater without problems. And get a spare tire - just in case. Single PWC or jetski trailers can also work and used ones are difficult to find for sale at a considerable savings.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The harbor freight trailers are pretty light and inexpensive. You have to assemble yourself but they are easy, I've built 3 so far. There has to be a topic already that has many posts with pictures on this subject. If you are doing saltwater, the paint will only last a few years. I would add a few coats of more paint if I ever build another one before assembling for the first time. I have pulled my PA 14 and an Outback with my little scion xD for years no problem. The trailer and yak are no heavier than a couple American sized adults.