Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've been using my sons 1998 Mirage Outback for several month in the Destin Bay of Florida. I enjoy it so much I bought my own. Now I have a 2012 Hobie PR14. I'm in the process of up-grading the seat to the Vantage seat. I also bought a upgrade H-Rail kit .. long 4 foot rails. My rudder steering is towards the inside. After searching the subject I see that this kit is mainly for the 2013 and up models. What I don't see is can I move the left side steering handle over to the the rail. I think I'll have to cut the rail shorter but can't figure if I can successfully move the steering handle.
Any help would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I guess maybe I put this in the wrong area. Would it help if I move my post to the Hobie PR area?
I guess I could weld the rudder rod longer and drill the hole and see what I can accomplish. Worst case I plastic weld the hole closed .. right?
Okay .. hope I hear from someone soon.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:59 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Welcome to the forum and to the Hobie family!

I'm not sure but sounds like it would be a chore. I know on my 2016 PA14 there are pulleys inside the hull that the rudder steering line run through. I'm guessing you would not to relocate these pulleys if you moved the steering handle. You might use a selfie stick or something similar, put your phone on it and video the inside of the hull to see what may be in the way.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:59 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Welcome to the forum and to the Hobie family!

I'm not sure but sounds like it would be a chore. I know on my 2016 PA14 there are pulleys inside the hull that the rudder steering line run through. I'm guessing you would not to relocate these pulleys if you moved the steering handle. You might use a selfie stick or something similar, put your phone on it and video the inside of the hull to see what may be in the way.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for reply, and I will do the camera idea. I really think I can do the same thing as the install video. The only difference I see is the steering rod length. Since the kit comes with 2 rods I could cut one and add in the required length. Not sure about the spring length but I can check into it when I get there.
Why would I do this ... my Advantage seat mod would require me to cut some of the steering handle off. If I can relocate the handle outward on the rail, it would be a win, win.
Thanks again,
Talon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:34 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

That's rolling the dice for sure. I do know it won't work without the proper spring. The spring is what holds the assembly in place.

I will say I have sat in the older style seat and I fish out of a 2016 PA with the Vantage ST seat. I personally think the older style seat is more comfortable. The Vantage ST seat has a gap between the base and the back of the seat and my tailbone sinks into this gap causing pressure on my lower back.

I purchased this seat pad and it has helped. OKWU COMFORT Waterproof Seat Cushion Pad with Free Non-Slip Cover Straps Carrying Handle Coccyx Car Office Chair Pressure Sore Relieving Wheelchair Memory Foam - Nurse and Therapists Recommended https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013GPKFM8/re ... uEbGA1FC11

If you do move forward with the Vantage ST seat and need one I have one for sale.