Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PA 12
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey everybody. This is my first post and I was just wanting some information/advice on something. I've talked to a salesman about a PA 12, but I want some first hand, unbiased opinions. I have access to a nearby lake, and I want to go fishing so bad. It's just terrible, haha. I've been talking a long time about getting a boat, but I honestly don't feel like Breaking Out Another Thousand all the time. I've been watching some videos and the PA 12 has been on my radar for a little while now. I'm a big boy, so apparently, it's one of the better suited Hobies I could look at. Anyway, I just wanted some peoples' options on the craft that have one. They are a little pricey, but I wouldn't mind paying for one if they are a good investment and will be something I can enjoy for a long time.

Thanks in advance for any info and advice.

Post subject: Re: PA 12
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Which kayaks have you tried out? How do you intend to transport your kayak? What kind of places do you expect to launch your kayak? How much do you weigh? And what kind of fishing to you expect to do?

If you haven't tried out any of the Hobie kayaks, you should definitely try several different models before you decide which to buy. If you plan to transport your kayak on a trailer and launch it from established boat ramps, a Pro Angler may be appropriate. If you need to transport your kayak on top of your car, and want to be able to launch from locations other than established boat ramps, perhaps you should look at one of the more kayak-sized kayaks, such the Outback. Unless you are a really really big boy, you may find out by demoing kayaks that one of the more kayak-sized kayaks will work fine. If you want to do a kind of fishing where you need to hold yourself stationary with respect to the bottom or fixed obstacles of some kind, or maneuver in tight spaces, a Pro Angler with the 360 drive would be very useful. If you aren't sure what kind of fishing you will be doing, you could save some money by getting a kayak with a 180 drive or just a standard drive.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:16 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

djones8623 welcome to the forum.

The Pro Angler 12's & 14's are amazing fishing platforms and you'll be happy with either one. That said the 12 is going to require a little more work staying in one spot while fishing especially in wind. If you have the ability to store and transport a 14 I would strongly recommend a PA14 over a PA12 especially since you mentioned you're a bigger guy. The 12 is great but the 14 is better in that it is faster, has more weight capacity, better tracking and more storage than the 12.

Just my thoughts.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Since you are a bigger guy, the small difference in cost, favors the PA-14 over the PA-12.
Make sure that you don't exceed the weight rating of the Hobie Vantage seat......some guys are over 350#'s :wink:

IMHO, A light weight trailer like the Hobie Trailex, is the best way to transport, launch, store the PA.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for all the input guys. Definitely helps me further research my options.