Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 360 steering jammed
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi. I’ve had my 360 on the water at least every weekend since release (got the first batch into Australia). My drive imploded recently, with what I believe was a cable breakage inside the mechanism. Hobie handled that perfectly, with a replacement drive being sent to my dealer, who is sensational at after-sales service. On the weekend, the 360 steering locked. Unfortunately, it locked in reverse and pedaling resulted in me doing circles (backwards). It broke in the worst possible spot with high winds, strong tide and nowhere I could get to the bank to rectify it. Once I did, with some effort I turned the drive far enough to remove it, cable tie the drive straight and started my return trip. After a while the cable tie snapped and I went through the process again. It was roughly four hours of paddling the PA14 into wind and tide. While I am sure my dealer can resolve it, my concern is more about on-water repairs. in this instance, I’m not sure if the bely broke, or if something managed to float into the mechanism to jam it. I cannot see anything, but that does not preclude a stray piece of junk or fishing line having wrapped itself around the mechanism. Is there any means of accessing this on the water? Just getting inside the hull to adjust the tension on the belt (tried that a couple of times) is not simple. Can the drive end of the 360 steering be accessed to check for foreign objects?
This was the first trip with the replacement drive and it was otherwise fine. Prior to the issue, my steering was perfect and the clutch required no adjustment. I know a fix will occur, but some tips on “on water” repair, if possible, would be great for anyone who gets caught in the same situation. I know that removing the drive and cable-tying it is a temporay fix, although removing the drive is not easy even when you can get them ashore. Doing it on the water would be near impossible.

Post subject: Re: 360 steering jammed
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

No responses, but the culprit has been discovered. My dealer is busy with the Christmas rush, so I removed the mechanism myself. The belt has snapped and jammed the steering mechanism under the handle. Looks like it's out of action until my dealer can get parts, so hopefully have the components available in Australia. This is my second major failure, so hopefully it is the last issue for a while.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I too experienced this today in my 360. 2nd time out on the water, the steering handle feels jammed. I haven't tried to force force the handle, but it's stuck and will not move any direction I turn it. Luckily it was in the straight position. I'll be making a trip to the Hobie Dealer to hopefully get this resolved.

I agree that the tube adjustment on the water is very hard to do. Be nice if it was coated in a small section with some kind of grip tape or something.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yet another reason for needing a forward position lock on this drive system.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I’ve had two belts break
Waiting for a third belt to come in so this $4500
Kayak is getting more disappointing with each failure

Maybe they should find a stronger belt ?
This gates 770xl037 isn’t holing up !!

One disappointed owner !

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Does anyone have instructions on how to install a new belt? I have the belt but cannot figure out how to install it. Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:31 pm 
Site Admin

The issue is the belt divider. The ends were supposed to be buffed and somebody used a grinder making the ends sharp which cuts the belts. Be sure to make your plate ends smooth if replacing a belt.

We replace complete steering tube assemblies, but this may help.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've had the same issue with a broken steering assembly belt. My dealer has told me that the warranty claim has gone through, but the part is on back order. Wondering if anyone has insight as to a time horizon when the replacement part might be coming available. Still fishing twice a week, but sure got spoiled using that 360 drive to hold position. Otherwise, love love love my boat.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Figured I would come here as this thread helped me resolve my issue. I also snapped a belt and jammed my steering. I contacted my dealer and they got a claim into Hobie right away and I had my replacement belt within a week. As I read about this item being back ordered, I decided to go ahead and order one via Ebay as well. Well I just got that belt today after 2 weeks and was surprised to see it is not a Gates belt (even though listing says genuine Factory Gates). I already installed my gates replacement but measured the continental and it seems to be same thickness and size so I'm guessing should work. I've compared various websites and the specs for both belts are exactly the same. If you can't find the gates in stock, try the continental 770XL037.