Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Storage of Kayak
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I will be getting a PA 12 360 shortly. I am trying to figure out the best way for me to store it on my property. I don’t have room to keep it in my garage ceiling is too low to hoist it up. My back yard is fenced in and my gate is 60” wide so I can wheel it into the yard without a problem I’m thinking of getting either the wheels that mount in the scupper holes or the Boonedox wheels if there are pluses or minus on that let me please know. Currently I store my 15’ fiberglass canoe which is in a zip up cloth bag on top of 2 saw horses. I don’t know what type of base or stand is best for my Pa12 I’ve seen on YouTube conflicting suggestions on weather to use pvc pipe to make a platform to slide it on other have said just use outdoor plywood with outdoor carpet on as it needs a flat surface.I have an elevated deck on my house that has 3’ of clearance under it. I was thinking of making a platform under the deck to slide the kayak which I will get a cover for but I don’t know what type of support is needed where I won’t do any damage to the kayak.
Another choice is I was thinking of taking that platform and put it against the Back of the house and make a roof over it but it will be open on the 3 sides.
Any suggestions will be appreciated. My biggest concern is doing something that’s not good for the kayak. I’ve saved for it for 3 years and I want it to be safely stored.

Post subject: Re: Storage of Kayak
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

On the issue of choosing between the Hobie Heavy Duty Cart or Boondox, I think the Boondox is more user friendly to deploy (no need to get to the underside of the kayak) but requires quite a bit of modification for the installation. I went with the Hobie cart for that reason on my 360.

As you've probably found in your research, a lot of people build stands out of lumber to store the PA. Most seem to use PVC pipe, but if you can afford it the Hobie cradles are probably the best. I transport my PA 360 to the lake in the back of my pickup truck and having a rolling stand the same height as the truck bed makes it super easy to slide it in and out of the bed without ever needing to load or remove my gear from the kayak.

Post subject: Re: Storage of Kayak
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am working on designing a storage cart that with the kayak on it will be able to roll under a 36” backyard deck. I just have to figure out how to attach 4 - 8” to 10” diameter wheels to a flat cart that will have around 3” ground clearance. After getting the kayak off my cars roof using the Boonedox wheels I will have to move it around 80’ to get into position to transfer it onto my “Under deck storage platform” . The other possibility is that I will just build a platform under the deck to slide the kayak onto after I remove the Boonedox. This second choice will most likely be how I will start and then convert to being a rollling platform if I find it necessary. When I will be doing work or maintenance on the kayak I will just put it up on some type of folding stand similar to what you see in hotel rooms to place your luggage. While the kayak is under the deck I will keep it protected from the elements with a cover and I will have a roof attached to the bottom of the deck to keep the rain from going through the deck onto the kayak. I’ll probably do that using corrugated pvc roof panels that will be pitched to allow drainage. Unless I find out that what I’m doing is not good for the kayak I will probably make sliders for under the hull support from pvc pipe .