Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I getting ready to build a trailer kit I purchased made by AO Smith. I’m planning on using it for my new Hobie PA 12 360 which is expected in at the end of the month. The trailer comes with 2 5’ long x 4” wide carpet covered bunks. I was thinking of adding 2 - 3” diameter pvc pipe to the center of the boards. Can someone please let me know I what length of pipe should be used and how far apart should they be for carrying the PA 12. Can I also store the kayak on the trailer in the winter I would not normally be using it and I was thinking of taking it off the trailer and just storing it flat under my backyard deck on top of a wood boards. From April thru November I’ll be using it 2-3 days a week and I’d like to leave it on the trailer if it doesn’t hurt the kayak. If any one can comment on my plans or give me advice on what I’m planning it’s appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Turn the PA-12 upside down and lay the PVC into the hull slots......that will give you the spacing across....there is a slight taper, front to back.

The length depends on how far aft you want it to extend past the "cradle point".

For my PA-14, I used 2 pieces 10.5" long......also had a 11 degree coupler to angle down the PVC for ease of loading over the aft trailer cross frame rail.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Dr.SteelheadCatcher wrote:
Turn the PA-12 upside down and lay the PVC into the hull slots......that will give you the spacing across....there is a slight taper, front to back.

The length depends on how far aft you want it to extend past the "cradle point".

For my PA-14, I used 2 pieces 10.5" long......also had a 11 degree coupler to angle down the PVC for ease of loading over the aft trailer cross frame rail.

Thanks for that in I’ll pick up 2-12’x3” pvc pipe and some nuts bolts and washers. Here is a link to what it looks like

https://store.cesmith.com/smith-multi-s ... -p436.aspx

If I bolt the 11’ of pipe to the 5’ bunks do I need to add any support on the approximate 3’ in front and 2’ to the rear.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie recommends the cross wise supports are 67" apart, on center crosswise. If you look at the photo I posted earlier, that's what I did to bolt the PVC to the supports.
This allows the hull to fit nicely into the cradles and of course with PVC pipe, if you allow for and aft movement when the weight of the hull is on it, the PVC will sag/conform better to the hull and not stress it.
Many other Hobie owners have modified trailers and it's worth searching for older posts with photos.
https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 15&start=0
Good luck!