Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I’ve had a Pro Angler 12 since 2013 and love it. However, I’ve been looking at the Old Town 120 with IPilot. I think it offers distinct advantages over Hobie’s Mirage Drive. But I much prefer Hobie’s design elements and ergonomics. Wondering if Hobie is thinking about adding a similar electric motor option. I know Hobie has offered the Torqueedo/Evolve electric motor in the past but I believes it lacks the features of the iPilot and is way more expensive. Just wondering if Hobie is thinking about competing with Old Town in this area. I’d definitely be interested in a Hobie product that offers features similar to the iPilot.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie has a 2010 patent for a rudder-mounted propeller system that is retractable, can be turned thru 360 degrees, and is remote cable-driven with a power source of human and/or electric assist. This design could simplify motorization, permit hybrid human/motor power through a single drive even with multiple peddlers, and eliminate the open drive-well hole in front of each person providing power. No idea when or if this will ever be productized given a decade has now passed. I currently use a rudder-mounted Torqeedo (eVolve) on my Oasis and see many benefits to the invention described.

Peter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The iPilot motor has a “stop-lock” feature that will hold you in place against wind and current so you can cast from a stationary spot in the water. It also can propel the kayak forward at trolling speed on a fixed course while you are standing. As we all know, the Hobie Mirage Drive can’t do either one when you are standing up. Your body becomes a sail and off you go.