Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently picked up a new PA14 360 and I'm trying to figure out my storage solution. I bought a kayak storage cart from a friend who had originally built this himself for his Outback (pictured below but exclude the Dakine pads). Its about 8ft long, and roughly 34 inches wide. I plan on removing the side panels to accommodate the wider PA 14 hull, but of course I dont want the kayak just sitting flat on top of the board once I've done so.

https://imgur.com/2CZWzQA

I also already bought the Hobie cradle set which should help as well, I'm just trying to figure out the best way mount them onto to this cart. My initial idea was to get 2, 4inch wood support beams (~50inches wide) and secure them across top of the cart almost like cross bars. Then get some hardware to mount the cradles to the beams and rest the kayak on top.

Wanted to get some feedback from the great community here to see if this is a viable solution, or if you have any further suggestions that you think would help. I know a lot of folks like to use PVC for their storage and transport, but I would like to avoid using it here unless I have to.

Thanks! :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

BXpane wrote:

I also already bought the Hobie cradle set which should help as well, I'm just trying to figure out the best way mount them onto to this cart. My initial idea was to get 2, 4inch wood support beams (~50inches wide) and secure them across top of the cart almost like cross bars. Then get some hardware to mount the cradles to the beams and rest the kayak on top.

Thanks! :)

I did pretty much what you describe above for my PA 360-14. Hobie cradles fastened to 2x4 crossbeams to a cart also built with 2x4s. The Hobie cradles have indentations that are deep enough for the heads of lag screws or any other bolts you want to use. I was lucky enough to find a set of cradles on Craigslist for half the price of new.