Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had the squeaky sound on my PA 14 360. It started after (approx) 60 to 70 hours of use and it was pretty bad. I saw on the forum that marine grease was suggested as a remedy and it really worked. Was out yesterday for about 4 hours and the drive operated quietly and smoothly... what a relief. I love this boat... The fact is I'm catching fish in some tide and wind that would be difficult to impossible in my 2017 PA. The 360 is a little miracle.

I do have one concern: and that is the amount of debris the grease picks up. I used a marine grade grease but have also sent away for some silicone based grease. The lakes are low up here (around Sacramento) and they are mud holes. Landing and getting back aboard are messy. I would like some advice on the following:

1 - Hopefully, Hobie can help identify the right grease to use?
2 - And what is the right portion of the cable to grease - is it the whole cable that runs in the drum groove - or just around the pulley?

While the grease seems to eliminate the noise I am very concerned about the longevity of the cables running over the grit, that adheres to the grease. I hope someone can help me on this.

(PS I have already adjusted the global tension screw and cables - the squeak was not from that. Also, dipping the drive in the water eliminated the squeak for 10 or 15 minutes but that IS NOT a feasible solution. Getting blown down the California delta in your PA - while your reaching over the side giving your 360 a quick bath is stressful... trust me!)

https://imgur.com/8PoIfWx
https://imgur.com/Cxnww4B