Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Starting to see a lot of interest in mounting a trolling motor on a PA. All the videos I’ve seen show the TM on the bow. Why is this? Seems like it’d be better on the stern, where all components, including battery cables, would be behind you and thus out of the way. Is it a weight distribution issue? Just wondering what the advantages/disadvantages are of bow mount vs. stern mount.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just finished rigging a 2020 PA17 (you can check my posts). I went with the OEM Hobie motor mount which sits at the bow off to the right. Few observations so far are as follows: it seems that most batteries on PA’s would sit in the back so the counter weight definitely seems to matter, it seems that the motor has an easier time pulling than pushing especially in windy conditions, there seems to be better mounts readily available for the bow which you’d want to buy a quick connect for. Since you also control modern trolling motors mostly via wireless remote, in my opinion you’d want to see the motor in front of you so you can always see the way it’s heading/positioned. The battery cables aren’t an issue at all as this would we run in the hull and out of the way regardless.

I did a really nice set up so if you have any questions, I’d be happy to help. Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have the trolling motor mounted on a bracket off the stern on my 2010 PA14, with foot pedal steering controls and a control box mounted on the side wall in front of the seat
There's an AGM battery that probably weighs 60 pounds mounted behind the seat in a battery box. I love this set up - it's really stable and I can troll along at 1/2 speed all day