PA 14 180 or PA 14 360 for Offshore?
Poll ended at Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:03 am
PA 14 180 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
PA 14 360 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 0
 Post subject: PA 14 360 for offshore?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've been kayaking offshore since 2013 here in South Florida. I always try to get the latest tech, but I am struggling to make a decision Between a Papaya PA 14 with the 180 drive or a PA 14 360. I'm sure the majority of PA 12 and 14 360 owners are using it in rivers and lakes where is makes perfect sense. For offshore the 360 makes sense for vertical jigging over wrecks where you are trying keep the kayak up current but also maintain good relative rod position for jigging. Of course, you don't want to make a habit of moving side ways when the ocean is rough as its a great way to flip, but I can see it being useful offshore at times.

I am concerned about durability. I like when I peddle back in to the beach from 2-3 miles offshore and nothing breaks, especially on a more risky afternoon trip. I broke a few pedal shafts from trying to accelerate too quickly and bent a few fin masts on the beach with the 2013 mirage drive. The 360 drive is relatively new and has more moving parts than the 180. The 180 has to be more reliable.

Kayak color is a concern. The 360s are not available in papaya which is more visible from a boat and from above (as in from a coast guard rescue helicopter). My current 2013 PA 14 is the dune color and to be fair I am still alive. I wear a neon green or orange long-sleeved shirt and matching obnoxiously loud hat. I also have a standard kayak flag and light, but for offshore the flag is almost useless.

If you take you PA 12 or 14 360 offshore, let me know! I can't find a single Youtube video or post about PA 360s being taken offshore.