Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PA 14 360
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello all, I'm new here.

My family is set to purchase 3 fishing kayaks in the near future. One of them is going to be the PA 14 360. We are also looking at getting the Outback for our daughter, and my wife likes the Old Town Sportsman Autopilot 360. I believe this will give us a nice set of options for differing conditions and usages.

I have a question about the PA 14 360. In mentioning purchasing one to another person he stated the 360's are leaking into the hull where the drive is inserted. I searched the forums for this and found nothing of the sort. Any insight is appreciated.

Also, if anyone knows, when is the next scheduled upgrade for the two Hobie models I've mentioned?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: PA 14 360
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Over 500 views, zero responses...?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I didn't reply as I am a passport owner, but always checking out other kayak posts as I may learn something. My first thought was that I seriously doubted there were troubles with the PA leaking as I am sure you would see here somewhere if it was a problem. Did that person have one? and are they someone who would follow hobie recommendations?

The last few years (and I am guessing pretty regularly before then), Hobie releases info on next years models in late fall/early winter, so you'd probably have a years wait to find out about 2023.

I am pretty sure I have seen several times that the outback would not work with the 360, so I doubt that upgrade would be coming. Also I don't know how many more upgrades you could do to the outback - they have a ton of bells and whistles for fishing, and owners seem pretty happy with them, so maybe a seat or hatch upgrade at the most?

Are you fishing? Any issues with transporting 3 yaks? I am asking because while the Outback is a fun ride and feels very solid, a compass may work as well if fishing isn't a top priority and would be easier to cartop/move around. I don't even need 180 drive, so passport is fine unless you are looking for a fine tuned fishing machine - but you can definitely fish with compass and passport.

Good luck and have fun!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:47 pm 
Site Admin

This is not an issue we have been able to replicate without loading up the boat and using a trolling motor. At speed, that seems to cause a lot of water to come up through scuppers and wash over deck hatches and fittings that are not always 100% water-tight.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Kswim wrote:
I didn't reply as I am a passport owner, but always checking out other kayak posts as I may learn something. My first thought was that I seriously doubted there were troubles with the PA leaking as I am sure you would see here somewhere if it was a problem. Did that person have one? and are they someone who would follow hobie recommendations?

I was thinking the same thing, how could it be a problem when I am unable to find it mentioned anywhere? But dropping that much money I want to be sure that it isn't an issue so I came here. The person does not have a 360, but does have a PA14. I am not certain about his following hobie recommendations. Pretty much seemed he didn't want to recommend this for whatever reason.

Quote:
The last few years (and I am guessing pretty regularly before then), Hobie releases info on next years models in late fall/early winter, so you'd probably have a years wait to find out about 2023.

Sounds about right with this vyruss nonsense going on. Yes, I purposefully misspelled that.

Quote:
I am pretty sure I have seen several times that the outback would not work with the 360, so I doubt that upgrade would be coming. Also I don't know how many more upgrades you could do to the outback - they have a ton of bells and whistles for fishing, and owners seem pretty happy with them, so maybe a seat or hatch upgrade at the most?

Yes, I don't think the 360 works well on the outback from what I've read. However, I do believe they will make some improvements on the yak because that is how things work, they want you to want the newer shinier toy.

Quote:
Are you fishing? Any issues with transporting 3 yaks? I am asking because while the Outback is a fun ride and feels very solid, a compass may work as well if fishing isn't a top priority and would be easier to cartop/move around. I don't even need 180 drive, so passport is fine unless you are looking for a fine tuned fishing machine - but you can definitely fish with compass and passport.

Good luck and have fun!

Yes, we will be doing mostly fishing, fishing/camping journeys hopefully as well. I have a landscape trailer that I am going to rig to haul the three yaks, plus other accessories. We will be able to drop the yaks in the water instead of rolling them around most places.

Thanks for the post!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
This is not an issue we have been able to replicate without loading up the boat and using a trolling motor. At speed, that seems to cause a lot of water to come up through scuppers and wash over deck hatches and fittings that are not always 100% water-tight.

There must be a tremendous amount of water coming in to get over the hatches. Is that speaking of the hatch in front of the seat, or is it that hatch and others?

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 8:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Finally got our rigs set up!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9kl247gpawkav ... .webp?dl=0

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Gunnyak wrote:
Over 500 views, zero responses...?

6000+ views and nada on our rig set up.

Lively, friendly bunch... :lol: :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Looks nice ! Do you use a cart or do you drop the trailer in the water? I want to get a dolly for mine if Hobie would ever get them back in stock. Just don't want to dunk the trailer if I don't have to. How do you like the old town compared to the PA?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

fletchb wrote:
Looks nice ! Do you use a cart or do you drop the trailer in the water? I want to get a dolly for mine if Hobie would ever get them back in stock. Just don't want to dunk the trailer if I don't have to. How do you like the old town compared to the PA?

Thanks, I appreciate it! I built that rectangular tube rack in the garage, and it bolts to the landscape trailer. Also has down pipes on it that fit heavy duty casters, so it can roll off the trailer whe needed.

I back the trailer into the water and we let off each yak with a rope attached and pull them to shore to get in them. Works out real nice, easy as well. We can also reload them the same way but it's a bit tricky and time consuming, but it is easier than picking them up to load them.

My wife uses the Old Town and absolutely loves it! Funny thing is I can keep up with her or pass her in the PA, but I don't think she's had it on full thrust (maybe?). Daughter is 13 and loves the outback. She zips around on that thing with ease, really surprised us how well she can operate her rig.

Thanks for the response!