Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Please come join us at Lake Waccamaw for the annual Indian Summer Regatta, October 10-11. Lake Waccamaw is a beautiful lake in South-East North Carolina and this event should be well attended. This event will be a Hobie Division 9 points race, but all catamarans and shallow draft mono-hulls are invited to attend. There will most likely be a separate course for catamarans and monos. Several boats are represented at the club and expected to race. The Hobie 16, 18, F-16, Nacra 5.2, and Isotope are commonly present during club racing and are expected to attend Indian Summer. Three or more makes a class, so tell your friends.

Camping is available on site and the menu for Saturday night's social looks great. There are plenty of grassy areas for rigging and beach access for launching.

Mono-hull advisory: I know this is a cat site, but we all have friends that have not yet seen the light. Lake Waccamaw is the largest of the Carolina Bay Lakes, but its average depth is rather shallow. This should not be an issue for catamarans, even with boards. However, most mono hulls will require removable boards or swing keels. If you need more information about mono hull access on the lake please pm me and I can put you in contact with our commodore for more detailed information.

So, please come join us for some great racing and camaraderie. Tell your friends.

Registration and additional info can be found here:

https://waccamawsailing.com/racing/indi ... er-regatta

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This was another great year for the Indian Summer Regatta at Lake Waccamaw. Five hobie 16's were in attendance, along with two F16's, an A cat, a Supercat, a Nacra 5.8, and a Nacra 5.2. Many thanks to those that drove several hours to attend.

Two multihull classes were formed for the regatta with the 4 OD hobies all starting together and the other multis racing together on Portsmouth. This was also a Tanzer state championship and they constituted an additional fleet with all other mono hulls forming another. The cats were given an extended A mark and started first due to their speed. I think the race committee and PRO did a great job.

Saturday saw good, steady breeze and two races were held before a pretty nasty storm moved in. However, we all were able to get in and quickly de-rig, as hot showers, cold beverages and a nice, catered meal under Waccamaw Sailing Club's large, covered pavilion awaited us. We awoke to a much brighter day with good breeze to start Sunday morning's racing. The breeze was on again and two more races were held with a third race to determine the recipient of the Waccamaw Cup. My crew and I decided to retire after the first race after the failure of our port side jib track (pre 95 boat). However, we were grinning along with the other sailors as they came back to shore.

We would love for next year's Indian Summer Regatta at Lake Waccamaw to be even bigger. The club can certainly handle it and the sailing conditions are more often on than off. If you race a Hobie, or any catamaran, this would be a great event to add to your calendar for the second weekend of October, 2016.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Sorry to have missed out this years. Going to shoot for next year!