Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just ordered a TI and I am a para-T4 ( no trunk or leg control) I am looking for ideas to make the pedal system into a hand crank system. I would like to bring the hand crank back so i don't have to bend over so much. I have sailed for over 25 years/ monohulls-Nacra-cats-10 year george windsurfer.I have not sailed since my accident/ 8 years. I can get hand grips that will go were the pedals screw in to a standard pedal exerciser.

thanks
mike

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:38 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Maybe you could use some extension arms attached to the pedals with a hand grip within easy reach. Because the Hobie system is just push pull (mostly push) instead of rotary I think this would work. You cannot relocate the mirage drive because of how it is attached to the hull and leaning over is not very comfortable or efficient.

Good luck and let me know how this works as I have a friend in a similar situation that might go the same route (post some pictures). I know she kayaks with a paddle now.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

pipesail wrote:
... I would like to bring the hand crank back so i don't have to bend over so much. ...

I'm not an expert in this, but the mirage drive pedals are height adjustable, and the seat can be placed in one of two positions. Perhaps setting the pedals to something like setting #1 and if necessary, moving the seat to the forward position might work?

Like I said, I'm not an expert on what type of devices you have access to, but maybe the boat's built in adjustability can help a little bit.

Congrats on the new boat!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

augaug wrote:
pipesail wrote:
... I would like to bring the hand crank back so i don't have to bend over so much. ...

I'm not an expert in this, but the mirage drive pedals are height adjustable, and the seat can be placed in one of two positions. Perhaps setting the pedals to something like setting #1 and if necessary, moving the seat to the forward position might work?

Like I said, I'm not an expert on what type of devices you have access to, but maybe the boat's built in adjustability can help a little bit.

augaug wrote:
pipesail wrote:

thanks, i have tried using the pedals with my hands on my brothers boat, it works ok but I need more time on the boat to see what might work the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:17 pm 
Hobie Tech / Moderator

I ran accross this post from Roadrunner that may hive you some ideas.

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=42174

A pedal extension seems like the way to go.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Good afternoon,

I was thinking something like this...

The only problem is there would need to be a drink holder between the legs, so the pivoting point (3 inch PVC) would have a place to fit...
If memory serves, one of the Hobies has a drink holder there doesn't it?

I just realized it doesn't have a drink holder, but there could be a type of base that could fit under the seat and protrude in front of the groin area to stablize the pivot point...

God Bless,
Doc S

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There is another way to mount the attachment without the use of a drink holder. Most Hobies have twist-n-stow hatches in that position. A flange could be mounted to the lid of the TnS to hold the upright that has the hand levers attached to it.

It would take only a little bit of imagination and creativity to mount something to hold the handle/lever assembly. The overall idea as outlined in the illustration is sound and should work well.

I should add that multiple linkage attachment points could be added to change the amount of mechanical advantage required for operation, additional exercise, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

To Tom Kirkman's point, here is a photo of a YakAttack MightyMount I attached to my center hatch.

It is a very secure mounting point and YakAttack has all kinds of accessories that may adapt to your need. If not, contact Luther at YakAttack and I am sure he could tool something up for you.