Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Hobie sailing dead?
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Cork Guy wrote:
Randii,
I have a furling Hooter / Screacher if you want to give it a try on your H18.
It's a big sail!

Brett, now I have yet another reason to catch up with you. :shock: 8)
Low-wind summer days really beg for more sail area on Folsom Lake, especially on H18.
That may resolve itself if'n I can get the Tiger outta the driveway and onto the lake, but I am indeed curious to talk to you about your H18 hoot/screech experience.

Randii

Post subject: Re: Hobie sailing dead?
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 1:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I went to the beach a couple of weeks ago to Okaloosa Island/Ft Walton Beach/Destin, Fl. It was very sad to see that the beaches now are so regulated with so many rules, can't do this and can't do that. I didnt take my H16 with me this time because I was only going to be there for one full day and the weather was really unpredictable, really wishing that I had taken it though because it was hard to sit there in the rental chair under the umbrella and not visualize my Cat skimming through the emerald water. I didnt see any beachcats whatsoever and didnt see any any sailboats at all while I was down there. It's very sad to see that now, the condos all have this beach service where you rent chairs and umbrellas and if you bring your own canopies, they have to be set up behind the rows and rows of rental crap. The beach is supposed to be a free space and now it is so regulated that it really isn't all that enjoyable to me anymore. The condos now seem to think they own the beach all the way down to the waterline. If I had taken my H16 down with me, I would not have had a place to beach the thing where I was because of the rows of rental chairs and that would've been a huge problem. I remember seeing rows of Hobie Cats for rent that used to line the beaches around the Florida panhandle and now you dont see any beachcats at all. I'm not saying its completely dead, but there has been a shift to other things. Oh well, I'll keep sailing my cat and the next time I go to the beach she will be going with me. I dont care about all the regulations and rules at the beach, I'll do what I want and sail my Hobie where it was meant to be sailed, off the beach, rental companies be damned!!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk