Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Access ports
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Anyone have a lead on curved access ports that will fit a H14? Seems most are now flat and need extra sealing. I want to check inside by the front pylon as I have delamination on the inner side of the hull and want to check inside before I start punching holes and injecting resin. Seems the contoured ones are pretty hard to find if they still exist.

Post subject: Re: Access ports
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm surprised that the curved ports are no longer available. You might try calling Murrays and some Hobie dealers just to see if they have any lying around. Lots of used parts dealers out there as well.

I'm sure you've considered this, but how big/soft are your soft spots? If very soft, they're probably not worth fixing. If not, the injection will probably buy you some time....and you won't be out much if it doesn't work.

Good luck!

Last edited by rattle 'n hum on Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I ran into the same issue a year or so ago with no luck finding the curved ports. I used a standard flat 4” diameter port placed about a foot behind the pylon and bedded the flange using West Six10 thickened epoxy to fill the gap between the deck and flange.

sm

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You probably know this already, Bob, but one tip I remember from installing ports.....
When you screw in the ring (if you even use screws), only tighten the screws lightly....at least until your bedding material sets. Otherwise you risk warping the ring, and the lid won't screw in properly. I expect this would be even more important when installing a flat port on a curved deck.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

rattle 'n hum wrote:
I'm surprised that the curved ports are no longer available. You might try calling Murrays and some Hobie dealers just to see if they have any lying around. Lots of used parts dealers out there as well.

I'm sure you've considered this, but how big/soft are your soft spots? If very soft, they're probably not worth fixing. If not, the injection will probably buy you some time....and you won't be out much if it doesn't work.

Good luck!

Deck tops are fine. Delam about 6" wide by 18" or so long on inside of the hull by the front pylon. Pylons all feel secure, but was thinking of doing ports just to check. Feels like the outer skin has separated from the foam core. I'll know more when I start drilling holes. I have a parts boat coming from my sisters house so worst case scenario is I'll have a pair of miss matched shoes one being white and one being blue. Would like to keep the white hulls, but will do what is needed. Simply going to be a play boat as my racing days are a couple decades past, so it will have a pretty easy life. I doubt it will ever see salt water.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ahhhh.....it sounds like you know that's in the area where a loose pylon shoe normally makes itself known. In my experience, it's hard to tell how secure the pylons are without rigging/sailing the boat......putting a lot of load on it back and forth to get that dreadful thunk. Might want to try to simulate that on the trailer some how...or it may be easier to tell with the boat upside down in your yard. Just trying to maybe save you some time/effort, 'cause, if the shoe is loose, the repair does need to be done from the inside through a deck port.