Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

First time Poster & long time Lurker so Please excuse me if this has been covered before, I tried searching but haven't found much.

I am an Atlantic sailor with my Hobie 16 on Ft. Lauderdale beach. I'm not much of a racer but enjoy a nice leisurely sail when I can. I'm also an avid fisherman and can't help but want to fish whenever I have free time on the water.
About the second time I had my boat out I began bringing a surf rod with me to troll. I have tried all sorts of ways of tying and wedging the rod in the tramp webbing but haven't found anything that really works well. Of course I know the Hobie 16 wasn't built for fishing and has it minuses when trying to fight a fish around all the rigging etc. I have also found that I can sail at about perfect trolling speed and have done relatively well at it. I've landed some Tuna, Spanish mackerel, Amberjack and have been cut off and spooled by some bigger bites. Eventually I'd like to do some live bait fishing for Sailfish etc.

My question is; Has anyone done very much trolling from a hobie 16? Any advice on mounting some rod holders or other tips? It looks to me that maybe adding set of Wings would probably be a great start for a non-competitive sailor like myself. If anyone does fish from their hobie I'd love to see some pictures of your rig.

Thanks ~ truenative

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Too much fun to sail,so if it is windy i sail, little or no wind I fish, oh yea with a 16 foot lund.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Seems to me that you might be able to use some s/s hose clamps to hold the rectangular base of one of these
http://www.ram-mount.com/fishing_rod_ho ... olders.htm
on to the tramp frame somehow...maybe to the underside?? I don't have an H16, so I can't say for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:19 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Just get some 1 1/2 PVC pipe and some 1/4" line and tie the pipe to the pylon at the bottom of the pipe and the side rail.

I use an old fiberglass rod with a Penn 309 reel with a safety line. I troll with a tandem rig of 1oz diamond jig on the rear and a Clark spoon on the front.

I was trolling off Stump Pass in the Gulf of Englewood Beach, FL and got hit. Probably a good sized King Mackeral. It bent over the rod, took drag and then was gone. It bit through 80 lb mono leader real easy. I will stick with a mono leader as I am wary of toothy critters on the small tramp.

Jack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My son Alexander and I went to our very first 'off lake' regatta in Central Minnesota and had the best time. The second day was pretty light and we were on a pretty weedy lake, so we took our ultra lights with a spinner and a jig and casted for Crappies between races. I found out later that the lake we were on is know for its Muskie, and wished I would have taken the larger casting rod with a bucktail, but live and learn. We were pretty new and couldn't understand why other 'racers' were looking at us funny while we unhooked and release pounder crappies. We figured you could just sit there and wait, or be productive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:
Just get some 1 1/2 PVC pipe and some 1/4" line and tie the pipe to the pylon at the bottom of the pipe and the side rail.

Bingo. I recommend zip ties.
And if you're going after bigger fish definitely use a line and clip that can be quickly removed to teather the reel to the boat while it's in the holder.

You said you're an avid fisherman so I'm sure you already have a good understanding of this.. but if you're going to be going after the game fish like you mentioned just make sure to kill before bringing them on board. The problem in this situation (though still a caution) isn't necessarily their teeth but more their chaotic, out-of-water acrobats that can rapidly leave you or anyone else on your boat sharing the hook with the fish.

Note: I HIGHLY recommend bending down the barbs on your hooks; a lost fish here and there is a small price to pay to counter the obnoxiously frustrating and timely task of removing a big ass barbed hook from one of your lines or tramp..or yourself.

You have a great situation there in Ft Lauderdale. In most areas it would be impossible to catch the fish you mention off of a Hobie as they generally require trips 15, 20, to 30+ miles offshore... where as I'm betting you don't have to go more than 2 or 3. Catching a big fish a few miles off shore on a 16 or 18 is an awesome experience for anyone who enjoys a challenge and regression that puts more skill back into the hands of the angler and away from all the shiny and $$$$$$$$ equipment.

Brett

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My fishing boat cost much less than my hobie. Also buy a hobie fishing rig. they are great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you for the responses!

I already had some 2" PVC Cut and drilled for the task so I lashed a piece on either side under the tramp frame. I am hoping there is enough angle for good trolling. I was going to sail on Sunday to test it out but it got a little too stormy for me to get out.

I do also have a powered fishing boat but I thought that sailing & fishing would offer some fun new challenges and opportunities for little $$ and no fuel. As BLR_0719 said, the offshore fishing is very Hobie accessible in Ft Lauderdale. I'm often further offshore and away from the inlet than many of the high dollar charter boats take customers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:15 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

looks awesome! :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If while tacking your blue hobie during race #3 of the local Hobie regatta, and you hook up an 8lb stripper, you just might be a redneck......

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

well fishing from your 16 is a bit of fun but what do you do with your catch? do you always release? Not me I love walleye. So My advise is still buy a fishing boat, Hobie makes a non motorised rig if you are worried about fuel. So I say SAIL your 16.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In about 2001 a guy here in Santa Cruz hooked up a good sized Salmon on his Getaway.

There's a guy with a Hobie 18 that anchors-out, pitches a tent on the tramp and basically lives aboard his 18 in the summers off of Pleasure Point. He has a BBQ set up that he grills fish on that he plucks from the near by kelp bed.

He sails at least once a week to this small bay about 10 miles north of town called '4 mile' to surf. Lives mostly on fish caught from the tramp of the 18 up there too.

This guy is 25, and I've often thought that I should do an article on him for the Hotline. Maybe this summer.

Fish ON!

J

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What is that guy smoking on that 18 ? Get real, does he have a fire extinguisher ? how does he handle the bb q? I had a Mac 25 an grilling and cooking was always fun but something you need to be very careful about. Nothing like hauling clean water to clean the fish and all that goes with this idea. So again novel idea but just sail the sunofabitch !!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

seems to me that you could get something to clamp onto the corner of the tramp and a little further down that you could place your rod in... or if you just want to focus on fishing but still sail I am in Boca and would love to learn how to sail a hobie So I could do fine tuning and you could fish, i grew up around fishing so I'm pretty good with that.

I'd do almost anything to learn to sail. crew your boat, mow your lawn, date your daughter ^_^

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Resurrecting an old thread - thought it better than making a new one.
I've been trolling from my 14 for the past few months, I have a short length of PVC pipe wedged in to the gap between the tramp and rear pylon. It is ziptied at both ends. The reel is clipped to the sidebar for safety. I have trolled two rods one either side but had a few snafus and it would be tricky handling a fish on one with the other line out so I usually only run the one now. It works well and never gets in the way. I fish in a bay and right now the tuna are in. I caught this 7lb tuna yesterday and lost a bigger one today (honestly!). Bit right through the 150lb monofil line. I figure I'm out there anyway usually crossing the bay so why not. If it's blowing over 15 knots I don't bother and just enjoy the sailing but often times it's 8-12 so perfect speed for trolling.

Hobie 16 1985 European Championships Palma 114072