Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie Holder 12
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi, i'm looking at purchasing a Holder12 i'm wondering how well they compare to a Force 5 or Laser or any of the boats that size.Are they pretty fast and durable parts still avialible can you upgrade them.How well do they compare to others that size.Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Hobie Holder 12
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had a Holder 12 as a pre-teenager many years ago, then moved up to the Laser. The Holder 12 is a great boat. It's very easy to sail, fun and reasonably fast. With enough wind, it will pop up on plane. It's not as quick as a Laser being 2 feet shorter and having a smaller sailplan, but it's not a dog either (especially compared to a lot of the rotomolded stuff you see today). It's also got a lot of nice features- adjustable vang, fiberglass kick-up rudder, fiberglass daggerboard, outhaul and downhaul controls. The one I had was actually some kind of upgraded version, it had an internal outhaul and a zipper luff mainsail with full-length top batten that was raised with a halyard so you didn't have to step the mast with the sail already attached (which can be difficult for smaller people).

The other nice thing about the Holder is that it's got a lot more cockpit space compared to a Laser, so you can take two people out comfortably. All in all, a good boat.

On the downside, I'm not sure you'd have luck getting new parts if necessary whereas the Laser, still being in production, has parts easily available.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

All three are good sailing boats but have a big variation in performance. The Holder 12 is very stable, very good sailing boat, and easy to sail but no match for speed for the Laser or the Force 5. The Force 5 is better for larger sailors as it has, if I remember correctly 92 sq. ft. of sail area as compared to 76 (again only by memory) for the laser. The Laser is PLENTY powerful enough when the breeze picks up. The Laser is the standard to judge all other singlehanders by and I would advise anyone in decent shape to by all means put your time in on a Laser. I was a member of the original "Laser Generation" in the '70s and still have a couple of them. Don't expect to be competitive with an older boat though. The older hulls get soft and are slow in waves.

For just sailing around having fun the Holder 12 is a fine boat though.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I agree that the Holder 12 is an all around fun boat for one of two people, I have 2 of them and would like to sell one. It's complete with unused main sail and newly fabricated rudder assembly. Inquireries contact Mike Newell 310 503 8216 [email protected]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Spinfly,

I had a Holder 12 back in the mid-80's and I loved it! Nice stable boat, fast and they look great too. If you can get one, jump on it! Have a Hobie day!

'83 Hobie 14 Turbo "Rio"
Blue Hawaii Sail #40954