Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 7:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello Everyone, I recently acquired a Hobie Wave and had it in the water for the first time over the weekend. I have a few questions I'm sure yall can answer.

What is the intended purpose of the mast rake adjustment and what criteria can I use to determine if mine is adjusted properly?

The side cables that attach to the mast seem to be pretty loose. The mast does not look like it will lift out while the cables are attached, is that the main concern with the length of those cables?

Thanks,
Andrew

Post subject: Mast Rake
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 8:48 am 
Site Admin

Mast rake relates to handling and balance of the boat. More rake helps the boat point higher into the wind and keeps the bows up. Generally more mast rake is better, but certainly in higher winds further back is really better. You need to adjust the wires to keep the rig snug while sitting on the beach. They will go a bit loose while sailing due to flexing of the mast and hulls. There are several ways to get the wires tight. One is to have a friend pull the main sail halyard over to one side and aft to pull (hold) the mast there while you make adjustments. Do the same to the other sidestay. You can do the same with the forward adjuster too.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 1:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for your replay.

I had the rake adjustment set with the least rake possible, I'll adjust it for tomorrows test drive.

The side cables look like they could easily be 2" shorter each. The previous owner acquired the boat without the mast, sail, or any hardware, the side cables do not have any adjustment places, I'm guessing he had them custom made.

would it be cheaper to have mine remade, or order the proper adjustable cables?

thanks
-andrew

Post subject: Cables
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 7:11 am 
Site Admin

Cables?

Be sure all of the side stay hardware is there. 7 hole adjuster plates and the small 90 degree "twist toggle" below it. That is required to allow the loads to be straight to the deck lip without and bend pressures.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 7:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well, I went to my local sail shop which is a Hobie dealer, and they conveniently have a rigger next door. They called Hobie to get the manufacturer lengths of the cables for the 95 Wave and mine were almost 5 inches shorter which makes no sense. I don't know if the previous owner put the piece on the mast on too low or what.. anyways, long story short, there were no adjusters on the shroud cables, so the rigger shortened my cables and put on adjusters, I'm going to put the boat in the water tomorrow..

a