Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 9:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

After having heard and read about any number of catamarans flipping while being (securely) tied down to their trailers.....I wondered: What would be the best way ----absent putting in earth anchors----to keep a trailered CAT (with its mast raised) from flipping over while it is being stored outside between sailings?

Not being an engineer, I have no way of caulculating what the amount of ballast (weight) that would be required to keep the mast from pulling the boat over in high (say summer gusts not to exceep 80 MPH) over. I also wondered how helpful it might be to add outriggers at the front of the boat trailer....so that the trailer would have 5 points of contact...not the more typical 3.

Lastly, if worse came to worse, I could always add additional bags of sand inside my, already over stuffed, cat box.

Let me know your thoughts!

Paul

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey there Paul,

I have been at Assateague in near hurricane conditions, mast up, tied to the trailer, and not had the boat flip. Similarly, beached boats stayed put. Some of the sailors took their tramps off so that may have helped. The reason mine was on the trailer was that I was planning to evacuate inland but the road was blocked and we had to stay put. It was frightening but makes a cool story :shock:

I'm not saying that it couldn't or hasn't happened, just that I've never seen it. I suppose you could use the same system that small-plane pilots use: drive some spikes and tie everthing down. Rebar and rope.

Have a Hobie day!

-Stephen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 10:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah bro, most people I know just use the screw-in doggie stake. I think one on either side of the boat should be good for 80mph, but don't quote me on that. :)

(M28, below. $2.50 at Target)

Jim

Post subject: Doggie stakes on a cat?
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 8:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:lol:

Ok, sometimes I have just tooo much fun. :roll:

So, has anyone else heard of boats on trailers flipping over?

Post subject: flipping boats
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 10:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Not on a trailer, but stored on the beach... I didn't unlace the tramp and the boat flipped in 75 mph gusts. The boat traveled about 30 yds and my mast snapped like a tooth pick... I could have used those tie down anchors...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 10:41 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

If you own the plot of land on which your cat is stored be it trailered or sitting on the beach. I would assume 4 concrete footers with wratchet straps or a setup similar. Would be about bomb proof and probably even better than a garage.

-just thoughts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have seen hobies flip on the trailer while being towed (large crosswind) and while just sitting at the regatta site.
If your having problems when towing my suguesstion is to put water in the hulls to add extra weight.
For the storing problem we use 3 or 4 foot RV anchors which woork very well.
Hope this helps
Tom
H18

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Adding water is genious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am a recent hobie sailor and last weekend we had very strong winds. I had the boat on the trailer just out of the water mast up, trailer not hooked to vehicle. It never moved however I have installed a small extending foot on the back of the trailer so that it gives the trailer 4 points of contact when I winch it on. It think it may have kept it from flipping.

Kenny

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Your hulls are not designed for the loads of water pressure from the inside out. I have seen someone looking for a leak by filling the hull with water, instead of finding one they created one in the form of a delamination. Other problem is closed cell foam inside the hull for flotation will soak up water in time, leading to a heavier boat. It takes a sunfish two months of circulating dry warm air to dry out the foam blocks after a saturation, not sure how much foam is in a hobie, but don't find out the hard way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Okay, maybe adding water in NOT genious. Sounded good though........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:47 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

xanderwess wrote:
Okay, maybe adding water in NOT genious. Sounded good though........

genius?

Truth is treason in the empire of lies.

Campaign for Liberty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Geez, all the books my mother bought me and I still can't spell. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Purchase a couple of mobile home anchors, at around $5 to $8 each they are pretty hard to beat. They are much stronger and longer than "doggie"stakes these will screw into the ground about 2 feet. You could use one on each corner of your trailer at the crossbars. If boat is off the trailer then one at the dolphin striker in the front and under the rear crossbar in the back. They will hold like crazy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

if you are getting 80 mph gusts on a regular basis i'd hate to know what a storm was up there i live in eastern NC and i dont know if i've seen 80mph gusts in the past two hurricanes we've had, however in the last storm i had my skiff sitting in the front yard on a trailer that is way too small for it at about a 45 degree angle sitting broadside to the wind and it didnt flip, granted it weighs a little more than twice as much as a hobie, i would think that the tounge of the trailer would at least fall off of the sawhorse before a hobie would flip sitting level on a trailer, espically if it was tied down to the trailer. I also helped a guy take down and set up a rv "carport" for his boat with a large canvas tarp for a roof which is basically a large sail, we set four rv tiedowns to keep the carport (which we transported with a golf cart once we took it apart) and they have held through every storm we have had in the past two years so i would guess one of those anchors on each side of the boat and a strap over the top would pretty make the boat immune to theft by helicopter if you are worried about that. good luck, you can never be too carefull.