Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: shroud extenders
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

OK. That's that, then. I will buy. I can't hold on in 15 kn so I'm movin' up :!: That should cure me a bad capsizing habit. :oops: Being a Laser sailor 8) , I should be able to stay up as long as I have the sheet in hand, don't you think??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ha! Ha! I've gone over MANY times thinking "Hmm.. I need to sheet out some more..." Sometimes it happens faster than you can react. Although I've noticed my reaction times are often inversely proportional to the water temperature. ;)

Jim

Post subject: 5:1 conversion to 6:1
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow - Jaime said it all - I too have often gone over thinking "I need to sheet out more" :lol:

mama - try a simple conversion to 6:1 like Nick and I suggested earlier.
You need Part H023 from parts page http://static.hobiecat.com/2010_archive/support/pdfs/36_37.pdf.
You do have a 5:1 - for anyone who does not know where that number comes from, simply count how many lines are between the blocks (5 in this case) and how many control lines come out (1) .

I see that you already have a "pad-eye" built into your lower block. Nice. Attach H023 to the becket that you now use as the tie-off on your upper block. Tie off on the pad eye and run up through the new block etc. Voila - 6:1.

Hang on and have fun!! 8)

Post subject: shroud extenders, etc
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ahhhh! Now I get how to modify the mainsheet ratio-thingie. Great info re how to determine what is the ratio, too. Comments are appreciated from those whose tendency to capsize is "inversely proportionate to the water temperature". I hope I remember that one. :lol:

Thank you, all. :) This has been so helpful. Now, nearing October in Minnesota. Boats ae still at the dock, but the cat will be going out on perfect October days till next summer. What could possibly go wrong??? :?: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just remember, when you have another purchase you will need to use more line to acheive the same effect. What I mean is on the 5:1 purchase you have now you are used to the amount of line you have to heave or let out. On the 6:1 you are going to, you will need to heave in more line (no big deal) but when you see a gust coming or decide you need to let out know that it will take more line, therefore more time. This is why I find a 6:1 purchase to be a good compromise. Anything more than that you will have to buy a whole spool of line for the main sheet :)

Good Luck

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If it is everything I can do to hang on to the sheet in 15kn winds, do you think 6:1 will do it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

One way to solve this dillemma of fatigue is to buy a racheting block. What this will do is keep the pully that your sheet feeds into first from spinning backwards. Also, that pully "grips" the sheet so you don't have to hold it as tight. As long as you put some tension on it the pully will grab teh sheet and make your life easier.

But (there is always a but) you need to pay attention so you can release the sheet before you start to go over.

As I look at your picture again, the middle pully in the bottom block is the "gripping" type I was talking about. I don't see a button or switch for the rachet mechanism but you may already have this feature. If you do, try it. I think you will find it makes life easier.

I know this will be a stuipid question, but do you wear sailing gloves? If not spend the $20 and get a pair that fits well.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes. I wear gloves. I turn back to shore to go get them If I've forgotten them. All these years sailing without gloves! :oops: Makes every thing better, including lessening the leathery tan on my hands that goes with being in the sun all the time. I will look for the switch and report back.