Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: trolling motor
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm having to paddle quite a way to get out onto open water and any decent wind (local dead spot!) for my Wave.
I've been looking at trolling motors, but I have no idea of the "push"/size needed to be effective for a Wave. They're quite expensive here in Switzerland (lucky US) so I'd like to get it kind if right!
Any ideas, hints, tips, guesses even ........?
Cheers
Ian

Post subject: Push?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:41 am 
Site Admin

Push? Very little power is required, so you can go minimal.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

And what, perchance, is "minimal"?

40lbs in the smallest .......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Ian,
This may help give you an idea. I have a Getaway, we motor it with a Minn Kota 36 motor. Full draw pushes us along at 5 knots measured on the GPS. Half throttle is 3 knots. So I would think the smaller Wave would be fine with even a 30lb motor if available there. Depends on your hurry to open water. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Brian, I'm interested in the MinnKota 36. I also have a getaway and am looking for auxilliary thrust. did you get the 30 or 42 inch shaft? did you buy the Cheata motor mount or did you rig something yourself? Battery in the hull compartment? Modifications? I'd love to hear how you're set up. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

sailboatcaptain wrote:
Brian, I'm interested in the MinnKota 36. I also have a getaway and am looking for auxilliary thrust. did you get the 30 or 42 inch shaft? did you buy the Cheata motor mount or did you rig something yourself? Battery in the hull compartment? Modifications? I'd love to hear how you're set up. Thanks.

My MinnKota 36 is a 36in shaft, although a 30in would be long enough as well. I looked at the Cheata motor mount, but it was way too expensive for me. I made my own mount that works fine. For the battery, I use a marine 33AH deep-cycle 800A battery pack. It's easy to transport, and has plenty of lasting power for the amount of engine use we need. I tie the battery pack down on the front tramp, just ahead of the mast, it doesn't move anywhere. I couldn't find a deep-cycle battery that would fit in the cooler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:38 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I used a MinnKota witha deep cycle gel battery to push my H21SE for a few years. It was limited range and would not push the boat head to wind in anything over 10 kts. For simple manuvering in small anchorages and ramps it was great as the 21 is tough to paddle with crew of two.
I like to sail to small islands etc. and got caught on afternoons becalmed a few miles out. The elctric didn't get me in. In any type of chop it wouldn't do much either. I switched to a 2 hp Honda 4 stroke (no smell, no smoke). It gets me just about anywhere with no wires or recharging. I couldn't possibly use more than a tank of gas (tank is on the motor, no gas line) in a day. It moves the 21 at 6-7 kts and can buck a pretty stiff breeze when necessary. It weighs 27 lbs if I remember correctly. Easy to remove when trailering or storing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have the same motor on my Getaway. It does weigh 27 lbs and it is great. It will get you anywhere you need to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

How did ya'll mount these honda 4stokes? Did ya'll buck out the cash for the Cheata or find some other way? Front Crossbar or middle? does it lock in place allow steering from the rudders? I just sculled for 1 1/2 miles this weekend when the wind died and I'm ready for a motor.

Post subject: Motor Mount
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Guys:

There is a technical help gallery section of www.thebeachcats.com on a homemade mount. The Cheata is to damm expensive. I am just going to try a kayak paddle. I only have about 200 yards to get in and out of to get to the lake for the Wed night races. Good Luck and if you build a homemade, let me know.

Doug Snell
dsnell4 at houston dot rr dot com

P.S.

There are some good homemade ideas for sailbox and wheels on our site.
www.tcdyc.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My 2005 Getaway already had a Cheata motor mount installed on it when I bought it. It also came with a new 2hp Honda outboard. Most of the time I lock the motor down and steer with the rudders. The balance is better that way. If I needed to go backwards or sideways, I would steer with the motor, as it can turn all the way around and face backwards.

I'm not sure I would have spent the money for this if it didn't come on the boat, but I can tell you it works VERY well and moves the boat along pretty fast.