Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: the way of life
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

some of you may appreciate this...i recently switched to monohlls. I showed up at the first regatta 3 hours early, having no idea how to rig my boat, with no dolly, but ready to make it happen. it was a gorgeous day and i was psyched to be racing again. having raced hobies for 15 years plus, i expected help with rigging, launching, local knowledge, etc. i did get a few friendly "welcomes", and a bit of help on rigging (just a bit), but in the end i was so clueless on how to rig the boat for the first time (now that i have done it once, its easy, of course), and had no dolly for launching; i was left on the beach still trying to figure it out, while i watched the starts with great envy. i spent the afternoon alone on the beach with my assembly manual and a handfull of blocks and lines. so, my point is, as most of you know, that in hobie racing, this would have never happened. 10 minutes help would have gotten me on the water with time to spare. I can not imagine someone, especially someone new, being left behind on the beach at a hobie regatta, it just would never happen. enjoy what you have, and keep up the good reputation of comradery, sportsmanship, and the "way of life". i used to make fun of the saying "the way of life", now i miss it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Come back to us. :shock:

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

:) Old School, stop in and see us at Sail Sand Point, in Seattle, Magnuson Park, North Shore. Check out our web page at www.sailsandpoint.org

What type of boat did you get? We have a vast range of monohull and cat sailors including racers of all types. I am sure we can help you get going.

Also, lots of chances to volunteer and help out at SSP. Volunteer hours are rewarded with free open sailing hours on our fleet of over 50 boats, monohull and catamaran.

Caleb Tarleton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Caleb, my nephew lives in Seattle, he's going to be 6 and has had limited OPTI training. Do you offer group little kid Opti lessons? I see the mom and me thing, would that work out for him?
cw

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:14 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

:D Hi Xanderwess. The info about the Sail Sand Point programs are on the website www.sailsandpoint.org. For youth classes click on "For Youth". The age requirement is for the age at the start of the class. For the Optimist Camps, click on "click here for dates and times". The Mom and Me class is for any parent or older brother, sister in addition to the child. For any addtional information, call the Executive Director, Morgan Collins, at 206-525-8782.

Caleb