Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 1:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you have not done do allready, you could allways replace your mainsheet system, to the new 6:1 system using Harkin blocks, that way you can adjust the mainsheet "claws". Even setting it one or two from the bottom makes it much easier to get out of the cleat.

The downside is now it makes it harder to get into the clear when close hauled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 7:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have noticed heading up in a gust can be a disaster on a reach. The way I see it is that you are steering the boat under the rig when you bear off instead of away from the rig when heading up. This makes sense to me, does it to anybody else? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My 2 cents. I sail in the ocean almost exclusively. I will comfortably double trap in 20kt wind with the main cleated and scallop the wind to keep the hull high in the air or just kissing the water. Releasing the main dumps too much power too quickly and powering back up on the wire one handed sucks. In a strong blow on a beam reach flying a hull, turning up would result in capsize. As you come up the boat thinks its close hauled before it ever gets there. If your flying a hull on a beam reach the main is in tight. Comfort comes with practice. When I was younger I would solo our 16 and practice flying the hull all the time. I got to where I could carry it over a mile without touching the water in any wind conditions. My 18 Mag won't allow high hull flying due to the wings so I sail for speed and airtime now. Theres nothing like airing out an 18 off the back of a wave.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
Depends on how close to the wind you are sailing. Sometimes it is better to head down. Imagine sailing on a broad reach and you hit a puff. If you head up, you come up to beam reach and than closer hauled before getting up high enough.

Great discussion "Dr" Nick.. I picked up some good tips and read some great stories. That is why we come to the forum.

My only arguement would be with Matt's comment (above). I mean, how often do you find yourself flying a hull while on a broad reach? Not that you couldn't (as I will attest in a moment) but Hobies thrive on a broad reach- this is their fastest tack, and you really tend to stay pretty level, traveled out about 1/2 to 2/3 and sheeted for the right sail shape. The center of thrust moving longitudinally toward the bows rather than diagonally across the beam.

The only time that I "flew a hull" on a broad reach was when I was caught in a mean little micro-burst - and I was flying BOTH hulls while scooting along in the both bows.

Reminder to self: Don't do THAT again.... :shock:

Happy Sails,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Come on out to the plains states and experience some big wind. Single and double trapeze on the "screaming" reaches are not uncommon. 8) Skipper will have there front foot on the back of the rear corner casting and back foot at the stern. While single trapped the crew is behind the skipper in the same position.

It's a little scarier to head down (when a 40 mph gust hits you), for fear of catching the back of a wave and experiencing an instant pitch pole. :twisted:

While falling off or heading down is the right thing to do (compared to nothing, then you're going over) the only other alternative is to dump the main, which will cause an abrupt change in attitude and you'll likely loose your crew. Have the crew try to take some peeks over their shoulder for coming gusts and keep you apprised.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Oh yeah! That sounds very tempting John- and I really mean it :) The admiral and I have a saying "we don't know if we had fun unless we come back with Hobie scars!!" :twisted:

But as we get older we're thinking a nice leisurely wine cruise suits us better... :wink:

Nice to see that you're still active on the forum dude.