Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HELP PLEASE
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi, I am hoping some of you may be able to help me out. I have an arbitration to get my job back at the U.S. Postal Service on Friday at 9:00 am E.S.T. It seems the Post Office thinks that sailing is rigorous and strenuousness. I say that it does not require a lot of arm strength and that it is easy. I really need some kind of documentation on how a 6 to 1 block and tackle works. How it cuts the weight by six. I also need something stating that using a harness does not require any use of my shoulders or arms. Last I will need something showing that a tiller is easy to use and does not require arm strength. I thank anyone in advance if you could help me in finding anything that I could print out to take with me on Friday.
Cheryl

Post subject: Re: HELP PLEASE
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

what does sailing and your job have to do with anything??? Just curious.

1:1 means for every 1' or 1" you pull, the effort of what you are pulling is the same. a 6:1 means for every 6' you pull, it pulls 1'. this is giving a 6 to 1 ratio of effort. a 3 to 1 effort would require more energy than the 6 to 1. Someone here can probably explain better.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In some conditions - high wind and big waves, sailing IS rigorous and strenuous. And I too do not see the USPS - sailing connection :?

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Do you keep your boat on the beach with the mast up?
Sailing is the easy part, but stepping the mast, lifting the tongue of your trailer onto the hitch of your car or truck......
Cheryl, if you're really cute you might not have to do any of the heavy lifting, but for most of us there is a bit of strenuous work involved with the sailing experience. Still it's not too bad. I'll be 70 in 2 months and there are a lot of other Hobie sailors out there that are older than me.
I wish you luck!

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Anything you can do while drinking a beer is neither rigorous, nor strenuous.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you all for your replies. I was looking for some help explaining how easy sailing a Hobie Cat is not how hard it is. Thanks anyway!

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hope you get some serious help from the forums. To lift 60 lbs 1 to 1 you must apply 60 lbs of pull or pressure. To lift 60 lbs at 6 to 1 you only need 10 lbs to do the same amount of work. Much easier on your body. Tiller steering works like a lever to reduce the force needed to turn the rudder. Do an on line search of leverage and 6 to 1 pulleys and you should find enough to print out. Good luck

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:31 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I am assuming there is some medical issue here that has prevented you from working but that whilst on medical leave your employer saw you sailing and says that if you could be sailing you could have been working? Just guessing of course, but if that is the case it is a legal issue that I, and I think others here,would avoid weighing in on.

With all due respect of course.

I hope things work out for you.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

thesailgirl wrote:
...It seems the Post Office thinks that sailing is rigorous and strenuousness. I say that it does not require a lot of arm strength and that it is easy. I really need some kind of documentation on how a 6 to 1 block and tackle works. How it cuts the weight by six. I also need something stating that using a harness does not require any use of my shoulders or arms. Last I will need something showing that a tiller is easy to use and does not require arm strength.

You're unlikely to find broad-based support for any of that from a sailor. Using a harness in no way means that you are not using your shoulders or arms, and in conditions where a harness is needed, sailing a Hobie Cat is rigorous and strenuous, 6:1 or not.

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages